Rackspace "lock" for predictive loading

I am using gig performer in a church worship setting. Most of the time, we have a song list, but it can never be fixed. There’s always a probability of doing something unplanned, like performing unlisted song.

I tried to set a rackspace for each song. Each rackspace can have it’s unique set of plugins. For examle, song one has 2 synth leads, 1 electric piano, 1 pad; song two has grand piano, strings, flute; etc Then, I realized that I need one rackspace with general/minimum plugins setup needed to play any song (like, grand piano, electric piano, strings, and 1 pad). This rackspace acts as a go to rackspace for unplanned song, or some unpredicted situation (like after-sermon reflection time for example).

Let’s say I put this as first rackspace.and I have 10 other rackspace. To save RAM, I use predictive loading feature and set “max loaded” value to 5. When I am already at 7th rackspace, I can not instantly jump back to that first rackspace without delay because GP need to reload that rackspace again and there will also be a delay when I jump to 8th rackspace afterward.

It would be nice if I can set that first rackspace to be locked so it won’t be unloaded and I can instantly jump into it anytime. Thinking about that, there’s another problem, I need also to keep predictive loaded rackspaces (in this case they are number 5-9) loaded.

May be there are ways to do this?

This should be possible by using the set list mode. In setlist mode - if you haven’t played with it - you can assign a number of rackspaces to a ‘song’ and predictive loading will make sure the rackspaces for that song (and following) are loaded.

So in your situation you would have two rackspaces per song. One is the actual rackspaces you would use for the main song, the other being the rackspace you want to ‘lock’ in your example.

The ‘locked’ rackspace is now always ready and available for you.

Where setlist mode really comes in to its own is it allows you to create rackspaces of ‘sounds’ rather than ‘songs’ and mix and match as required for the song you are playing. So for some 1 you could have a rackspace with a Rhodes soubd, another with a pad sound, another with a lead synth. Then for song 2 you could have an arepeggiated synth, then use the Rhodes sound again, and the same pad sound again. You only set the ‘sound’ up once but can use it in multiple songs.

1 Like

Hmmm, let me try playing with it for a while. Thanks for the info, @speed12

So, I can use this feature if I add a new dummy part of each song and assign that particular default rackspace to that dummy part. So whenever I need it, I just activated that part. Am I right?

Yes, correct.

The way I would set it up - for your situation - is to have two parts per song. Assign the first part to your rackspace you want to use for the song if you were to just play the song start to end and then move to the next song. Then, assign the second part to your ‘standby’ rackspace you want to use for those moments when you need something more generic off the back of the song. Do this for every song.

Set up like this, you can just skip through songs and it will auto-load that songs rackspace (song part 1), but you always have access to your generic rackspace as and when you need it - it’s always loaded in memory and read for use.

The great part is that you can save these ‘songs’ and create different setlists with them so you start to build up a library of songs - so although first time round it takes a little more setup, the subsequent times that song is used you just add the song to the setlist and job done!

Setlist mode is an absolutely killer feature and I would definitely suggest some time playing around with it - as mentioned before, it really works best when rackspaces are designed around ‘sounds’ rather than ‘songs’. Setlist mode then makes it super-easy to re-use all those sounds across multiple songs.

1 Like

I will absolutely try this. About designing rackspaces around sounds rather than songs, it’s a little bit difficult in my mind, because for one song, I use some combination of sounds. to be able to use some sounds together simultaneously, they need to be in the same rackspace right?

“to be able to use some sounds together simultaneously, they need to be in the same rackspace right?”
Yes that is correct.

This is where someone else might have to chip in as I use GP for guitar rather than keys so a ‘sound’ for me is something more singular; a clean tone or a drive tone or whatever. I appreciate this may not translate as well for keys (although there are plenty of keys players here who I think would use a similar approach)

Don’t get me wrong, GP will work spectacularly well in the way you are currently using it, so if it works then great!

I think, if you do a little planning or foreseeing when you’re about to build your rackspaces it won’t be too much work to be done…
First think of what combinations of instruments/sounds you need - i guess, some combinations can be used for multiple songs, so you have to build those rackspaces only once. But ideally (if don’t want to mess with program change messages sent to VSTs directly, which you should avoid) you will have to build a separate rackspace for each unique sound-combination.
Put widgets on your panel for all those parameters that might help to vary the sound of the existing VST-patch you are using for your rackspace to get a new sound you can use for another song, because you can store independent variations of those rackspaces to the corresponding songparts (without altering the “original”!).
Maybe you will end up with quite a large number of VSTs in one or the other rackspace, so running all of them at the same time could eat up a lot of CPU power… for that reason i would also recommend to use widgets to bypass the plugins that might actually not be used (bypassed plugins don’t use CPU power!).
Maybe these thoughts will help you to build your rackspaces and songs?!
Good luck with that, and if have questions, don’t hesitate to ask.
You might have noticed already that this is a very helpful community. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is exactly how I have been revamping my GP setup.
I have many rack spaces for all the sounds I need.
Within those rack spaces, I create variations as needed.

Then I go to Setlist mode and create my songs. I assign the needed rack space and it’s variation I need for that.

So song 1 may need my Synth brass rack space, variation 2.
Song 5 may need my Synth brass rack space, variation 1.
And so forth.

Makes for a solid, easily flowing setup, and really keeps memory and cpu well under control since in many cases I just have to have one instance of a large VST loaded. I.e Keyscape.

4 Likes