Questions using GP4 with Mastermind GT/22

Hi everyone. My name is Scott and I’m new to the forum. I’m seeking to fully implement a PC-based effects system using Gig Performer 4. Trey Gunn (ex-King Crimson) recommended the RJM Midi Controller. My goal is to - as much as possible - eliminate the hassles of effect pedals. I’m mostly a home player so mobility isn’t an issue. I’m interested in the seemingly unlimited possibilities of plugins. Is the Mastermind GT series good for this? I’m a total beginner when it comes to this setup. If so, are there tutorials/videos online on how to get up and running with this sort of thing? Any help you can give is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Welcome @ScottE!

One of the GP devs @dhj uses an RJM GT Mastermind. Have you read his blog post?

There will be some great opportunities to use GP as the master and control what’s shown on the lcd screens (versus separately setting that up in the RJM), but I think there will be a bit of a learning curve to use the scripting functionality in GP to get there.

Even if you don’t go down this road, it will be a great controller to use with GP.

https://gigperformer.com/controlling-the-rjm-gt-mastermind-from-gig-performer/

Yeah, he recommended it to me as well, I have the 16. I think we use it differently though. Trey has programmed different stuff into different banks whereas I just have the buttons attached to widgets (and some to song parts) and I have some stuff in a gigscript that sends sysex messages to the GT to change the label text of each button as needed - which is why I don’t need to use the bank stuff.

Amazing pedalboard - a shame it’s so expensive.

David,

I am thinking about getting GT/16 because you are using that one … however, there is a GT/22 for sale on Reverb, and is reasonable. I am thinking that the GT/22 is too big and the GT/16 is just the right size. Have they come out with any new features since you purchased yours?

I read your script and I am planning and excited to use it when/if I get my Mastermind. Could you plz post a video on how you use this in the broad sense?

Not that I am aware but remember that I don’t use many of its features — the buttons are all set to momentary CC values and I use sysex messages to send text and change colors of the labels. I don’t use any of the bank switching stuff at all. I haven’t checked for an update since given that it works exactly the way I need (and doesn’t ever crash), I see no need to update it and then having to worry about their having changed something (like format of sysex messages, say) that would require me to change stuff.

I regret I don’t have time right now to create a new video of this stuff. The blog article describes how it works in detail.

2 Likes