Question about Midi in blocks

Hi i need some infos about GP naming of midi devices. That’s my situation:

• I have a Novation SL attached to my usb port - keyboard is labeled as 4-SLII
  • Setup all my system and all works
  • Go on stage, start the setup and connect Novation to an usb hub connected to the same pc: no souds :confused:

So after checking i have seen that the SLII name has changed in 5-SLII

What about the number before the name of the device?

Yeah, this is why we created the Rig Manager. See my blog post https://www.gigperformer.com/the-rig-manager

The idea is to name your MIDI controller there, then use that name in all your rackspaces instead of referring to the device directly.

Then at sound check, if the device name has changed, open rig manager and relearn the MIDI device associated with the name you created and then everything will just work.

So cool :sunglasses:

Yeah, that mechanism works really well — we anticipated this issue a long time ago by building the Rig Manager. Three of the controllers with which I tour are identical (Roland A800) and when I power up my rig, I never know which one is which. So, because they are on a three-tier stand, I just called them Upper, Middle and Lower.

All my MidiIn Blocks use those names and then at sound check, I just quickly remap (if necessary) in the rig manager and then I’m good to go.

1 Like