Possible to have one expression pedal with different scaling curves for various plugins?

I am a MainStage (MS) user for 13 years and am exploring Gig Performer (GP) to see if it could overcome certain shortcomings found in MS. I am now creating a single rackspace
to replicate a patch in my MS setup to learn the ropes and to understand the design/architecture differences between the 2 platforms.

In my MS setup, I have two keyboards (KB1 and KB2), a single expression pedal (EP) and a single sustain pedal both connected to KB1. In MS, the EP can be assigned to multiple plugins, and the scaling curve to each plugin can be customised. So I can have, say, a linear curve for a synth pad plugin, and a parabolic curve for a strings plugin. I need to customise the scaling curve to be non-linear as some plugins sound very soft in the lower range of the expression pedal travel.

In GP, I have a MIDI IN block that blocks all events less expression, and the MIDI Output of that block is connected to 2 separate instrument plugins. On the from panel, I have an expression pedal widget assigned to the said MIDI IN block’s CC11. In the widget properties pane, there is only one scaling curve (customisable) available for the expression pedal. This is where I get stuck, and am unable to implement multiple scaling curves for a single EP in GP as I can in MS.

Like to know if anyone has a similar requirement and has found a solution in GP. If yes, I’d appreciate your sharing.

Please upload a small gig, I have an idea.
What version of GP are you using?

Group widgets together and then each one can have its own scaling curve

2 Likes

Hi dhj,

Thank you for your suggestion. I implemented it and it worked. However from a workflow standpoint it is more complicated compared to MS. In GP, I need to create 1) MIDI IN block (for expression) instances to connect to the various instrument plugin blocks, and 2) multiple expression pedal widgets, customise the scaling curve/s, map them to the respective MIDI IN plugins, and group them.

Nevertheless, I am happy that the challenge is overcome in GP. Perhaps improving this workflow is something that Deskew Technologies could consider in the future.

Well, Gig Performer is under continuous development so we’re always working on improvements. At least you were able to get the results you need.

That said, while that particular workflow might be more complicated than MS, I would argue that GP has other workflows that are more streamlined than those in MS. One can’t win them all :slight_smile:

3 Likes