Possible Solution for crashing Gig File

So my friend and I use GP3 and he had built a rather large series of racks as well as adding lots of vst’s (Most legit, some demo and a couple experimental). One day the gig file would not load and GP Crashed almost immediately. I took a look at the .gig file in a couple of different text viewers and though I could see and decipher some of it, there was just way to much data to be able to safely dissect / mod it.

I then remembered I had a copy of GP on another machine here that I used my second license on but never installed anything or used…

I simply copied over my friends file and loaded it on the empty GP install. I got a bunch of errors (No VST’s Loaded, Wrong Audio, etc) I said Yes to everything and the file came up. We had an idea that the error might have something to do with the first five racks as they were the biggest and most complex. I deleted those, did a Save As and sent the new file back to my friend and Voila, the file loaded and he was able to carry on. Don’t know if this helps with anyone elses file crash issues but is worth a shot if you can do it and nothing else worked.

When it was crashing did you take a look at the crash report?

Unfortunately I didn’t have the problem and, now that you ask that, I feel like a fool for not researching deeper before trying to find a solution. Time was at an essence and we needed to get it going and I had never had any problems with my copy of GP so I didn’t even know about the crash report. I will try to see if my friend does have a crash report and update for informational purposes. Thanks for pointing it out :slight_smile: