Panic-Button for scripts

Is there a way to stop a running script?
i.e. when accidently running into an endless loop?
I was in VBA there was the possibility to press CTRL-break to bring a macro to a halt… how is this in GP?

Pressing the ALT key during GP startup will disable all scripts in the gig.

Ok, thank you. Good to know! :slight_smile:
But there is no way to stop a script when it’s already running?
I think this could be a useful feature, when experimenting with GP-script.
Would this be very difficult to implement?

To interrupt a script, the run time system has to be able to CHECK to see if it needs to stop. That costs CPU cycles and time. It’s not like VBA where it doesn’t matter if the script runs a bit slower since all you care about there is getting the right number when the script finishes. If a script is delayed unnecessarily, notes could come late, which is a much bigger problem.

It would be possible to have two different versions of the runtime system, one of which has the ability to stop a script, but that’s a low priority right. If you run GP Script then you absolutely have the ability to crash Gig Performer - no real way for us to prevent that so we’re not really focusing on protecting users from making mistakes.

Alright… i didn’t realize that such a functionality was so time consuming, but now that you mentioned it… Yes it seems plausible.
Nevermind. That’s some kind of script-darwinism. :smiley: :wink:
Thanks for explaining.

There are ways to reduce the amount of extra testing and it MAY be worth having an option for the compiler to optionally insert tests in appropriate places, it’s just low priority compared to other things we’re doing and programmability is only relevant to a tiny percentage of users. Most customers will just want to add rackspaces, insert plugins, connect them together, maybe attach some widgets to plugin parameters and go!