Panda-Audio MidiBeam: any loss of firmware?

As it was adviced several time in the community forum I bought MidiBeam V1 wireless MIDI transmitter. No question, it has the best specs of the market and especially a very low latency (0,38ms).

But I took the risk to buy a used “damaged” unit from Reverb for 15€ :grimacing:

Panda-Audio adviced to reflash the units with the V2 arguing in “most cases it solves the problem”, which worked perfectly and I now own a fully functional MidiBeam :partying_face:

Now my question is, do you experienced any loss of firmware that necessitated to reflash the units? (It would be too bad to have this issue just before a gig…)

There’s always an even worse scenario - this happen DURING your gig :slight_smile:

1 Like

:grimacing: Very bad trip! :grimacing:
This is the best way to look like a dork with your keytar! :flushed:

1 Like

Even when no sound comes out - it looks good :wink:

So you wouldn’t take the opportunity to smash it into the speakers? Light it on fire? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks for your help guys, I think I will start to learn the moonwalk in case it happens. At least I could leave the stage with style :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I’m using a Panda MidiBeam v1 with my Roland AX-Synth as controller.
The os are updated to the last versions and the connector is replaced by a Neutrik metal style. For me a hf power of -6 dBm ist working best.
Had no problems until now, but it is always a good idea to check every point of the stage for good connection to the receiver before the gig begins.

2 Likes

Loss of firmware: Not at all!

Like Stoffel mentioned, a good suggestion would be to check the connectors. Is maybe a little cheap.
I think it’s a really good nice little device which does exactly what it should.
And in case not: combining smashing it, as @Rank13 suggested, while moonwalking across stage would certainly redirect attention :sunglasses:

It is not a matter of pricing and quality.
In the EU the allowed transmission power is very limited and you can only use a few frequencies. So Panda decided to use the WLAN 2.4 GHz as allowed frequency with the max. allowed power - which sadly is not much.
I’m living in germany, so I have the above mentioned restrictions.
Therfore I always check the points on stage were I will go to for radio contact (metal parts might be a problem) and place the receiver in a way that there is never anything between transmitter and receiver.
Doing so I never had dropouts or hanging notes.
As being an electronics technician I can say that the loss of firmware in the built in processor is nearly impossible.
Hope this helps.

Well I bought a used device from a guy who couldn’t make it work. The answer from Panda Audio to help me to solve the issue was something like « most of time refreshing the firmware of the device solve the problem » I got scared from the « most of time » which could indicate that it is not the first time that it happens.

Regarding the location of the receiver, I connect it using a 2m USB cable to be able to install it in LOS condition regarding the sender. But, from the feedback I have the units are supposed to be very reliable.

I think this only means that this device can get defective like anything else in this world.
No manufacturer likes to admit this.

Again: The chance that the microcontroller loses its firmware is nearly zero!

Btw:
I also have bought a used v1 midibeam and there was a broken soldered joint within the midi connector. Because of this I exchanged the whole connector by a much better Neutrik metal DIN.