No sound, need some guidance pleas

Hi all, long time performer but new to the vst world here. I have downloaded the trial version of GP to compare with other trial versions of vst hosts to include Cantabile and Forte, etc. My rig is a Roland rd2000 with a pair of ev 30m, laptop is a new asus vivobook with 8 gig ram, i5 processor, windows 11. For some reason I cannot get sound to the speakers so I’m not sure what I did wrong in audio setup. I have put a monitor between keyboard and instrument that shows it is receiving. The instrument itself shows its receiving as well.

Thanks for any and all advice and instruction. I would sure like to try GP, it seems like it would be well worth it.

Berto

Well, you selected arbitrary output ports from Kontakt. Whatever instrument you have loaded in Kontakt is probably sending audio out through the first two channels.

So by default you should be using channels 1 and 2 so connect the first two output ports from Kontakt to your audio interface.

In other words, not this:

but rather, this!

2 Likes

@Berto hi, fellow user here. Save yourself a lot of time and trouble. GP is your best choice not only because of the code but the support as you are about to discover.

Edit: see what I mean?

4 Likes

Hi @Berto, welcome to the GP community forum :wink:

Thanks so much @dhj, its just what I needed to get started and I really like how intuitive the software is. And @kevinf, youre right about the support. I already see how encouraging this community is. I also see the knowledge in other posts that others are ready to share. @David-san, thanks for the welcome. FWIW, I’ll be sticking with GP. You all sound like my kind of people!

4 Likes

Glad that worked for you but I must admit to being a little curious as to why you just connected arbitrary outputs from Kontakt in the first place rather than the first two? It may be that there is something we need to add to documentation to make this clearer.

1 Like

To be honest, I was reading three user manuals at the same time and simply missed it, thinking auto out sync option applied to all software. So basically I got in a hurry. I tend to do that…I’ve seen me do that quite often…

I also saw how to specifically use the proper out in a GP video on YouTube early this morning. It was an older video dated 5 years ago, maybe thats why I passed it over…? But the bottom line is that the proper information was out there. To a noob (me) with no virtual rack experience, there is so much more involved than a real world rack and the simple fundamentals are easy to overlook. So I don’t think anything needs to be addressed, I just think it’s a growing process for people like me and a reminder that the basics in virtual are the same as real world…

On that note, I simply asked for help and in an hour, ONE HOUR, I received that help. It simply can’t be more efficient than that.

Again, thanks y’all. Will be purchasing my GP license this weekend.

(I’ve never written this much on a forum before!

Berto)

6 Likes

Welcome @Berto

I spent several years using Forte. It has been defunct for a while now and I guess you know that. When the developer shut Forte down, I looked at Cantabile and decided that it was too complicated. Then I looked at Gig Performer, and was delighted with the ease of use, playability and power compared to what I had come from. You have made the right choice with Gig Performer. Stick with it!

4 Likes