New MacBook Pro Recommendations

Greetings,

I am currently running GP 4.1.5 on a 2017 13" MacBook Pro that I originally intended for remote recording use. It has 250 Gig of storage on it. I am using a UAD Arrow as my audio interface, and everything works well.

At this point, I would like to separate my recording work from my live performance work and get a new MacBook Pro. From experience, I’m sure I want a 16" inch screen, but beyond that, I’m not sure how much power is enough (or too much). Will a M1 Pro be enough or should I get an M1 Max? How much unified memory? How much storage (noting that I want to install Omnisphere as one of my VSTs, which I can’t do right now, due to sheer size)?

I don’t want to break the bank, but I want a Mac that will do the job well (I’m not interested in Windows for this application, fwiw).

Thanks!

What is “enough” is highly dependent on your personal circumstances and requirements, and the type of plugins that you use - e.g. size of the sample libraries, etc. There is a “Hardware” Category and “Gig Performer on Mac OSX” Category here in this forum that I would highly recommend that you review - your question has been asked many times by many people over many years, and the discussions can be very illuminating. You will find that many of the discussions in these two Categories have links to other information that would be relevant to you and worth reading. To get you started, use the link below for one of the more recent questions like yours.

1 Like