Need advice on physical MIDI setup for my rig

I’ve downloaded a trial of Gig Performer, and have already decided this is something I need to buy. I’m an IT expert, have also done a lot of programming, but even I tend to get confused by the channel strip approach in the DAWs. So; To me Gig Performer looks great!

I understand the basic setup.

• I use a Windows PC with the VSTs and Gig Performer
  • From my PC there’s an USB-A connector going to my powered USB HUB
  • My powered USB HUB has 4 USB-A connections
  • There’s one USB-A to USB-B connection to my Arturia KeyLab MKII 88
  • There’s another USB-A to USB-B connection to my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 soundcard

All the above work great!

The components I haven’t set up yet:

1. A Nord Electro 2 with 5-pin DIN MIDI in an out connectors

I haven’t decided if this keyboard should be part of the MIDI setup yet.

a) If I go the audio cable route for this keyboard; Am I right in understanding that, if the jack cables go to my sound card, they will be detected by Gig Performer and the sound could be enhanced buy the plugins Gig Performer controls, before leaving the soundcard outputs?

b) If I go the MIDI route I suppose I can just run a DIN cable from the keyboard to the back of my soundcard, and it will be included in the MIDI process alongside the equipment connected by MIDI-USB? Maybe I’ll need to connect both MIDI in and MIDI out?

2. An iPad Pro 2021

This one I might want to use for some sounds I have on it. I might also want to use MIDI to have forScore change automatically to the right score. I’m a little confused about how to connect this one to my USB MIDI-HUB.

a) Will an USB-A to USB-C charging cable do, or is that unsopported/problematic cabling when it comes to MIDI?

2. Planning on buying an Alesis Vortex Keytar

How do I connect this wirelessly into the system? I think they use 5-pin DIN.

a) Will I have to buy a 5-pin DIN MIDI HUB that connects to USB-A? By the way; Are ther both MIDI INs and MIDI OUTs on that kind of HUB?

Lots of questions.

Thx in advance for helping out!

I am using this with my Roland AX Edge Keytar.
I could use Bluetooth with it, but I dont trust Bluetooth.

1 Like

Will have to check out that one. Isn’t the transmitter a bit big when you’re using a Keytar?

You kinda need to check with Alexis and your hardware setup. it’s not something that GP itself has any control over.

2 Likes

I know, but it was more of a general question about how to combine 5-pin DIN and MIDI over USB.

For example this:

or this:
https://www.iconnectivity.com/products/midi/mio

Or you use an Audio interface which has MIDI built in.

1 Like

I use a cheap and simple “two-ways” convertor MIDI to USB. This also works great with USB to USB-Type C OTG adapter.

I wrote about this here: Gig Performer | How to change sounds and control plugins from your MIDI controller

There is also a recommendation to a USB hub.

2 Likes

Yes, but GP won’t “detect” it, it will only be available in the Audio input of GP.

That’s right.

I would do it this way, but you don’t absolutely have to. Using its MIDI out, the synth can be used as a controller for some instrument plugins, but via its MIDI in the internal sound engine can possibly be controlled. E.g. changing to a specific rackspace, GP you could automatically change the internal sound of your synth.

I establish a network connection and use the free and excellent RTP-MIDI which creates an additional MIDI port for the iPad.

I thought this model integrates a wireless USB dongle? So, I suppose it doesn’t need anything else, but putting the USB dongle in your PC (this has to be checked).
If for any reason you can also go for a midiBeam as mentioned by @pianopaul (mine is not visible when playing my Ax-Edge Keytar.
Alternatively, you could also have a look at these:

It will be transparent for you, GP will detect any available MIDI port whatever it is.

1 Like

I used to go crazy over what midi inputs/outputs went where and what format the connection was in, and every time I added something new, substituted a device or whatever it caused massive reshuffling. I had been very interesting in the various midi merge/midi through solutions but finally bought a MRCC Midi Router Control Center by Conductive labs which have laid all midi routing issues to rest. It does a lot more than routing too - basically anything you can think of, it does. Very Highly Recommended. It isn’t cheap but in this case you get what you pay for. The link is below.

With respect to wireless midi (WIDI), I think it will be/is the next great leap in technology and functionality. I’ll probably make my instrument (a hurdy gurdy), which is also a general purpose midi controller, wireless. The products from CME seem the way to go and their devices are relatively inexpensive.

2 Likes

Thx for lots of great answers so far!