MIDI Recording

You can try Toontrack EZPlayer

Keyman, Pianopaul, any idea if something running inside GP like this could record MIDI beyond a single rack? For example I’d need it to record MIDI messages used to switch between racks, as well as all the messages controlling the racks, plus separate GP instances linked with LoopBe1 running separate switchable racks. If need be, for that last item I could potentially record that separately, and then hand sync it… but it would be ideal to have everything recorded at once.

A plugin in a rackspace to record midi messages which should switch racks will only work once :wink:

I used scripting and the audioplayer.
With use of the audioplayer I can react on bar/beat and in scripting there is a callback
on BeatChanged (bar: integer, beat: integer, subbeat: integer)

Wich each call bar and beat is changed.
So in scripting you can use this information to construct a string to be shown in a widget.
This way you can have a bear:beat display on a panel.

Now you could react when for example bar:beat is 10:04 then switch to another variation.
Using this feature I use a combination of Toontrack EZPlayer to play my midi notes and with scripting I can do what I want.
Switch variations, send midi CC Message etc.

Endless possibilities.

Perhaps in another lifetime when I’m a software engineer!

I appreciate the information, but it’s way over my head…

In my case I wouldn’t be playing to a clicktrack, so I don’t think the bar/beat idea would work, but then again I don’t really know what you were talking about, so could be wrong! Also, I’m not using variations because I’m relying on separate instruments in separate racks so that patch persist is able to switch from one to another seamlessly (which is why I can’t replicate the setup in a DAW, and which is why I was so excited to find GP).

Back when I trialed GP, I was able to use LoopBe1 to send MIDI from GP over to Reaper to record, but couldn’t get it to send the recorded MIDI back into GP to be played back. I’m sure it’s possible, but now I’m worried that if I actually could get the recorded MIDI to be sent back into GP from Reaper, it might not send everything needed to replicate the MIDI performance… or maybe it would?

Currently I’ve got about 8 racks in one instance of GP, then I’ve got a second instance with a single rack, then a third instance with another rack. All are set to use patch persist. This way I can not only switch seamlessly between the various instruments, but I can also layer them (all controlled by an FCB1010). But I do wonder if the messages from the FCB1010 to switch instruments and turn layers off/on would be recorded by Reaper properly, and be able to play back to GP properly…?

Yes, it would be fantastic if GP could one day record and playback the MIDI going through it. Perhaps it’s far more complicated than I originally assumed?

OK, there are some different points to be analyzed.
To get back midi from reaper you have to make sure that reaper is sending out midi to gigperformer.
I am on Mac and use IAC Midi Driver, this is working.
On Windows I do not know.

In GigPerformer you have to make sure, that the Midi In Blocks get Midi from reaper.
What Midi In Plugin do you use?

OMNI?

Right, I’m on Windows.

So I’ve used LoopBe1 to get MIDI both out of GP and into Reaper. Then I was trying to use LoopBe1 again to send MIDI out of Reaper, into GP. Back when I tried it originally I think I was using omni in within GP. But I wasn’t able to get MIDI back into GP.

But now that I think about it, I likely was only testing recording from one rack, not switching between them. In that case I suppose I’d need to put LoopBe1 on every single rack as a MIDI output. Wonder if that would give Reaper problems recording?

Also, at some point I ran into an issue where patch persist was sustaining held notes themselves, but not the reverb that had also been applied to each rack. I found that for some reason if I changed the MIDI input from ‘omni’ to ‘MIDI USB 2.0’ that it would fix the problem and sustain the reverb plugin as well as the instrument itself. Not sure if that’s by design or not. Anyway, I wonder if that will also be a factor in getting MIDI from reaper back into GP?

Yeah, never use an Omni block if you’re using virtual ports. If you think about it, anything you sent out through a virtual port will be sent right back again, thereby causing the infinite loop.