Midi file player

I know that GP does not have a midi file player, but I suspect that one is on the to do list. In the meantime, is there one available as a VST that could be inserted to play midi files?

Yes Toontrack EZPlayer

Toontrqack EZPlayer doesn’t come with a sound module.

The following do, or you can use your own soundfonts.
http://falcosoft.hu/softwares.html#bassmidi_vsti

Synthfont2x64
http://www.synthfont.com/index.html

Is this really a Midi Player?

Paul, you’re right. neither is a midi player. I was wrong. I assumed (something that I hate to do) both play midi files as both are basically GM modules. Both apps do have a standalone version that will play midi files, and one of them even hosts VST plugins, but that’s not the point. I asked both authors about it, and one of them might add that feature to their VST plugin. One author said, “Typically Midi files are handled by the host and only raw Midi messages are handled by plugins.” Maybe GP can add the feature.

In the meantime, Toontrack EZPlayer works very well in Gig Performer.

1 Like

Some time ago, I bought the Roland Soundcanvas VST. It has midi file import but I can’t make it play. Has anyone else tried this?

I’ve just had a look at Toontrack EZplayer Pro. I can’t find a trial or a non pro version. How does it work? Does it come with a GM sound bank? I already have the Sound Canvas VST as I mentioned, but I also have the UVI soundbanks as well. I guess €39 isn’t too much to pay, but I would like a little more info. Can someone post a screen shot of the GP setup showing the modules in place please. Thanks, much appreciated.

EZPlayer Pro is just a plugin where you can load midi tracks as you would in a DAW.
Then you route the midi out to your other plugins.
Thats all.

I read some past posts and learned that the GP team is working on a midi player.
I was running Sound Canvas VA in its demo mode, and it didn’t open/import midi files. However, Sound Canvas VA and other VST GM plugins I mentioned play just fine in VSTHost which has a built-in MIDI player.

Hi Olive.
I’m not sure that I understand your last sentence. Could you explain a bit more please.

VST Host is a very basic plugin host with a built-in MIDI player

@bigalminal
Here you can see EZPlayer in Action:

Bigalminal, Sorry for the confusion. You said, “I bought the Roland Soundcanvas VST. It has midi file import but I can’t make it play.” You can play it from a midi controller, but you can’t import and open a midi file in it, correct? That was also my experience with the demo version. I have its IOS version, and it imports and opens SMFs without any issue. Why don’t you try Sound Canvas VA in VSTHost with a built-in midi player? As David noted, it is a very simple plugin host, but it comes in handy when you test drive plugins. I was able to play standard midi files just fine using Sound Canvas VA demo version in VSTHost.

I remember now - VSThost is a seperate app that I’d forgotten about. I thought you were referring to GP as a vsthost. Sorry, my mistake. Are you saying to run VSThost within Gig Performer, then import a midi file into VSThost, then use SoundCanvas as a GM midi sound bank? Please correct me if I still haven’t got it right.

VST Host is not s plugin, it is a host! I think people were just suggesting that you could play a MidI file through a plugin inside VST Host. It’s not what you want.

Thanks for the clarification. Looking forward to the next GP release.