Midi devices conflict in GP?

I’m on GP 4.1.5. Yes, I think I didn’t experience this problem when I started using GP last year. I’m not entirely sure though since I obviously didn’t observe an issue that I didn’t have back then.

From Deskew or from Plugin Alliance? Shouldn’t matter but useful to know

From Deskew.

I’m not trying to avoid the subject, but I have a question about your use case. Why do you run GP first and connect your keyboards later?

But, can you try to start Live and connect your keyboards afterwards?

Yes, as I said in Ableton I can de- and reconnect MIDI keyboards and they will always work which I think is the expected behavior in GP as well.

I didn’t ask exactly this, but it could be a further question. I asked about initially starting Live WITHOUT ANY KEYBOARD CONNECTED, and then connect the keyboard. De- and reconnect comes later on and is independent of what you initially did.

My further question would be, with GP, if you start GP with the keyboards connected (which according to what you said, works properly, and I still don’t understand why that’s not what you are doing like most of the users…) and then de- and reconnect, does is still works properly?

I just tried it and it did work when I unplugged my Impulse 49 and then reconnected it. However when I did the same with my Komplete Control S49 the Impulse stopped working.

Just an observation in general from my own recent experience: USB 3.1 is supposed to be transparently compatible with (much older device) USB 3.0 docking devices. My anecdotal experience has been that compatibility isn’t solid. Without finding specific cause I’ve had an apparent streaming or disconnect problem that would not go away without plugging a 3.1 docking device into a 3.1 socket. But once I did that, everything became solid as a rock. YMMV but I’ve found the 3.0/3.1 compatibility to be variable. It’s probably rare but it might be worth checking to see if there’s a firmware update for the docking device …

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice but since the problem is exclusive to GP I don’t think it’s a USB problem.

Have you used the rig manager at all?

In your rackspaces, do you use midi omni in blocks at all? If not, what happens if you do?

Yes, I use the rig manager and using omni midi input or dedicated device inputs doesn’t make a difference. There’s no midi input at all, not even the midi in indicator shows input from the respective device.