Master and Aux Rackspaces...?

Not suggesting that GP move toward the “Channel Strip” paradigm…but how about a Master Rackspace, along with Aux Rackspaces?

• The Master Rackspace might be considered “part of” or “patched directly to” the audio out. Global effects can be patched to the Master Rackspace.
  • Aux Rackspaces would be similar to bus inserts, which could be wired back as a Return or patched to one or more audio outs (e.g., 3 & 4 [while the Master Rackspace ->> 1 & 2).

The idea is to avoid having to load the same effects plugins in pretty much every Rackspace. Currently, the only workaround appears to be to open one or more additional instances of GP, each with Loopback.

Is this concept feasible…perhaps there’s a more efficient way…?

Best regards,

Mike

4 Likes

Already on our list for some point in the future

1 Like

Gr_8_! Thanks, David & Nebojsa. :smile:

I’d like to add my vote to this feature request. My use case would be for something like a looping plug-in. I’d like to use various sounds (in multiple rack spaces) with a looping plugin. The problem is the looper can only be in a particular rackspace and once you change to a different rackspace you no longer have the looper. The same applies to the audio/clip player widget. I’m currently using a hardware looper connected between my audio output and my monitors, but it would be cool to use all software. Thanks.

you could use a 2nd instance of gig performer

1 Like

I’ve run into the same issues with looping through GP in the past.
The ideal situation, if using a looping plugin, would be a global rackspace, and that’s been discussed before. In lieu of that, you can do as @pianopaul noted and that is to open a 2nd instance of Gig Performer to operate as that ‘Global’ rackspace. Doing that requires the ability to use multi-client ASIO, either with a compatible interface, or using a separate ASIO wrapper app to achieve that end.

I run two instances of GP, one with instrument selections, and one with vocals. My audio interface doesn’t support multi-client ASIO, so I use a multi-client ASIO app, which feed the signals from both instances of GP to my looping app, which is a host, not a plugin. This is the most stable and comprehensive my looping setup has been, but as you can see it requires quite a lot of individual components to achieve.

A global rackspace would remove the need for one of the instances of GP, and certainly for those who are looking to use a looping plugin, it would also remove the need for a multi-client ASIO solution. Definitely high on my list.

1 Like

I had the same thought. Just started using GP about 3 weeks ago and I agree, it is the one thing I was missing. Actually I thought it must be there and I can’t find it so I kept looking.

Having an aux rack that stays while I switch other racks is how I would ideally work. I could have a master reverb that I adjust to the venue, or a master panning width or a master EQ … before the outs and after the patches, to have an overall adjustment for all patches of a gig.

1 Like

Another vote for a master section / master rackspace.

• It could be part of the gig file. Any song or rackspace is routed through it, also imported songs or rackspaces.
  • There is an option to import/export the master section, separately from the gig file.
  • Settings are global to all rackspaces, variations, songs, parts of this gig. Anything else would be too complicated or would cause jumps in the sound when switching these items.

My motivation: I always use the same compressor/peak limiter plug-in with same settings right in front of the master output in every rackspace. Once in a while I find better settings, and then I need to apply this to dozends of rackspaces manually.

3 Likes

Do you know the possibility of using a 2nd instance of Gig Performer?

It would be great to have a Master and (many) Aux / Secondary rackspaces closely integrated but with the possible to distribute the rackspaces across the CPU cores to balance the load.

EG: One master to control them all and one tab for piano / one for synth / one for organ or one with acoustic guitar and one with e guitar.

This would also ease the combination of instrument setups compared to todays integration of instruments into one rackspace.

The secondary rackspaces have all the detail controls eg for a an organ (drawbars…) and the master may have only key controls eg the organ leslie.

Setting up a new combination of instruments would be easy as only the key controls in the master rackspace need to be defined and the details by instruments are ready to use in the secondary rackspaces.

Please think of the poor users like me not having multiclient asio driver… :grimacing:

Ooops, what Audiointerface are you using?

Steinberg UR22 mk2
There is an old multiclient driver for Steinberg but it is really unstable.
Steinberg said: “unsupported by us …Use it at your own risk!”

Do you want to become a happy user? :wink:

https://www.leboncoin.fr/instruments_de_musique/1918664007.htm?ac=206978287

Happy and then poor?

Already poor and not yet happy !

Yes, I saw that ad the day it appeared (I remember it well because it was my birthday)… But no budget for it.
Moreover, the price seems to be very low for an object in very good condition, but maybe I am too suspicious.

A friend of mine always told me: “Don’t make fun of old and rich men, it could happen to you too.

1 Like

I am thinking about “master rack” too because I have a setup in mind.
I should like to use my Viscount Legend (hammond clone) with Leslie made as VST (IK Amplitude with Leslie add-on). It sounds terribly well!
So in a concert I would like to have my Viscount always active, a master rack would read audio from Viscount audio out to audio board input, drive audio to Leslie simulation and then to audio out.
With the famous master rack I would do it once.
As it is today in my setlist, I should insert this routing for every rack.
I know (just trying to learn everything in few days) a way could be with two GigP instances, but I don’t know if my Native Audio 6 would allow that (I don’t think so…).

Yes, it seems your Native Audio 6 has an ASIO multi client driver.

I have the older version. There is no mentioning on docs. This means I should try…