Lost connection to keyboard

I have GP running on a laptop with Win10, steinberg ur24c and 2 keyboards - a Nektar Impact 88+ and a Novation Impulse 61.
I have an intermittent fault. I always make all my midi and mains connections before i boot up the laptop. Sometimes, when i go to the wiring view, the midi connection to the novation keyboard on all the racks no longer works, and i have to go to each rack to re instate it. Even then its called Impulse - 8 or another number, whereas when it is working properly it just calls the keyboard Impulse. Also in the orange box it says midi in, where it should say Impulse. Why is it doing this on only that board, and why intermittently? And whats the fix?

Do you know Rig Manager?

Do you mean the options menu at the top or something else.

Thats very useful info, and i havent used Rig Manager, but i will now. Thanks.

Rig Manager is built do address exactly the problem that physical devices sometimes get renamed.
With just a few clicks in the Rig manager all is fine.

Do you ALWAYS plug the SAME keyboard into the SAME USB port?

Windows is notorious to internaly rename or renumber MIDI devices when connected once to a different USB port or via a USB hub. “Some Device” will become “Some Device (1)” then “Some Device (2)” and so on.

On stage or in the band studio I always plug my devices into the same USB port each.
At home they are pluged intoa hub and thus, renamed.
Here the rig manager comes in. Once configured, with two clicks all is set.

You are describing exactly what happens. I know about the windows thing, and always plug my hub and ext ssd into the same sockets on the laptop, but im less careful with where i plug my keyboards into the hub.
Ive set up a rig. So what do i have to do next time i plug in and power up, or does it do it automatically?

If the devices are renamed again, then you would have to set up a second or third rig with them.
Depending on where you plug your devices in, you would have to select one or the other rig, manually. But at least, no more configurations are required, then. And of course not on rackspace level, which would be the case without the rig manager.

I found it to be a good practice also to have fixed USB ports for each controller. Then no issues with renamed MIDI devices. Some good discussion here:

2 Likes

Or you just learn the physical devices in the Rig manager
Select the MIDI device alias and press a key on your controller.
Do that for all the used controllers and you are ready to go.

Ah, now i get it. Thanks.