Live streaming musical performance with GP anyone?

I’ve done this for my guitar lessons (i am the disciple)…
I made a rackspace with a microphone, a guitar amp VST and a drum VST, some faders, meters and a sidechain compressor which ducks the mic when i play guitar, so there is no “natural” string sound coming through the mic and only the amped sound can be heard by my teacher.
We used Skype for the lessons and in Skype i then used the loopback output of my soundcard, so any sound that comes from my PC goes into Skype. Of course i had to play with headphones because sitting directly in front of the speakers would have caused a massive feedback.
So all in all it worked quite well.

Hi there, I appreciate your both chiming in. I wish I could perform that simply but somehow stuck in front of one camera always looks static especially sat at the keyboards! Hence I’m looking to use 4 camera angles that I can program to automatically switch between while I perform. Last night as an experiment I tried using OBS with Loopback to pull in the audio from my MOTU Traveller Mk3 using GP of course. After a few seconds of streaming to FaceBook my audio became garbled from GP! I have yet to discover what caused this but it doesn’t bode well for using OBS. I’m on a 2012 MacBook Pro running High Siera, 16GM RAM- all drives internal and external are SSD. I always work at 48kHz which I made sure OBS was running at 48kHz as well.
I am running a large keyboard rig through GP…

I don’t know anything about OBS but what you describe sounds like a wordclock drift problem. Are you using an aggregate device? If you did any configuration using Audio MIDI Setup, then you might want to make sure that your Drift correction is checked on secondary devices (see example image)

Also, the new Blackhole (free) driver seems to work remarkably well for routing audio with no additional latency

screenshot_977

Surprisingly it doesn’t. My children are playing without any headphone in front of a microphone for talking with the teacher. I used the Melda compressor do some inverse ducking with the microphone, such that the microphone stops when the piano is playing. I thought I had to do something regarding the Skype feedback, but no it is done by Skype and there is no feedback at all. I can hear the advice of the teacher while my children are playing without headphone.

1 Like

Agree :wink:
Heres the link @GPman, just in case

My company uses BlueJeans which is similar to Zoom but has very good audio, we do it so clients can supervise recording sessions remotely. It was an independent company, but Verizon just bought it.

They say “Dolby Voice” audio, which suggests it is optimized for the voice, is it? Nothing, regarding if it is stereo or not…

We are a voiceover production company. I’ll ask my chief engineer what he thinks of the codec for music.

Looking over the app and settings and I don’t see any mention of Stereo. We tie into it using Source-Nexus and Source-Control.

What is this?

Source-Elements the company that makes Source-Connect, makes these plugins. I think BlackHole may do similar things for free.

It allows you to connect audio apps to each other virtually. Source-Nexus is a plug-in, so it allows you to port things into and out of Pro Tools.

https://source-elements.com/products/source-nexus

OK, I understand then, but if the audio streaming channel is not stereo, no chance to receive some stereo audio whatever the way you feed it…