Led Lever meter and Expression pedal quirk

Hi all…

Almost done creating all the racks, when I decided to add a LED level meter for the expression pedals. Just so you have an indication onscreen of level.

The widget is linked to the expression pedal on CC 27. Also, the pedal is programmed into a plugin for its volume. The quirk is, that the LED widget seems to intercept the MIDI and stops the plugin from receiving it.

Any ideas on this…??

Thanks. :slight_smile:

I don’t believe meters can function in this way, they are meant to receive dB data.

Fortunately there is an expression pedal widget which can be mapped to CC or automation and it has it’s own built in LED style readout that shows you where you’re at on the pedal’s range. You’ll find it under pedals.

1 Like

Hi…

Actually, they work just fine with MIDI data. I am sending it CC data.

I found a workaround where I associated the pedal directly to the plugin, and also associated the widget to the plugin’s volume control.

There is a widget for expression pedals…???

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, and that’s exactly what you need here. :wink:

That’s the normal behaviour of GigPerformer when you bind a Midi-Signal to a widget… the widget “listens” to that signal (i.e. a CC) and " passes on" this data to a plugin’s parameter via so called “Host Automation”. So if you “use up” a CC on a widget, this particular CC won’t be available anymore for further usage.
But this is not a big deal since you can group widgets together, so they react together as one - you move one → they move all the same way and the same amount.
An example: you could place a pedal-widget, a knob, a slider (and if you need to) a VU-Meter onto your rackspace panel, group them all together into “Group A”, then you midi-learn the pedal with your “real one” on CC27 and connect (plugin-learn) this pedal widget with the volume parameter of your plugin. Now, when you move your pedal, they all should move the same way:
The volume of the plugin should change and also the VU-widget should react accordingly.
You could now plugin-learn the other two widgets (the knob and the slider) to some other plugin parameters, or even to parameters of another plugin (you also could invert and/or restrain the values), so that if you moved your pedal, not only the volume would change, but also an overdrive could turn up and a reverb could turn down…
You can see, there are many, many ways to easily achieve things that would not be possible with other hosts or DAWs…
Maybe i could help you with this example above.
BTW: a VU-meter reacts in a non-linear way, so it might not be the best option for indicating a linear value.

And in situations where the plugin doesn’t support host automation properly, you can assign the widget parameter to the corresponding CC message in the MIDI in block connected to your plugin. But the right way to do it, as explained by @schamass, is to use host automation when possible.

1 Like

Yeah, absolutely right - i forgot to mention this eventuality. Thanks. :slight_smile: :+1:

I cannot agree more :wink:

2 Likes

Hello All…

Thank you all for your help…!!!

I have tried the expression pedal widget, and the same thing obviously occurs. It grabs and holds the MIDI data from the pedalboard. Had to check… Got the idea here… Move on… :wink:

I understand what schamass has outlined regarding Grouping.

The plugin I am using (NeuralDSP amp sim) has embedded within it four different amps, all with different controls. So, in effect, there are four master volume controls that are seen within the (Edit Mode) Plugin Mapping window.

And as I see it, it’s “one widget - one mapping”. So this creates an issue.

The workaround I use, is to map the expression pedal to the four masters on the actual plugin (NeuralDSP plugins have MIDI). And then map the widget to one of the plugin masters.

I do not map the MIDI to the widget, it gets feedback from the plugin by the looks of it.

Is there a better way…???

Again, thank you all.

I think your workaround works up to a point: you probably can only store the volume in a Rackspace/variation for the volume master which is assigned to the widget.

If you don’t want to use one plugin per volume parameter and group them like explained by @schamass, that you can use one sigle pedal widget and make it produce the CC 27 signal it “grabbed” by assigning it to the CC 27 parameter of the MIDI in block connected to your Amp Plugin:

Hi David-san…

It never occurred to me that mapping CC27 in the MIDI block was actually an output…!!!

Thanks for the solution.

Yeah, take a look at widget grouping, the whole purpose of which is to control multiple parameters simultaneously

Hi All…

Considering that the NeuralDSP plugin contains three individual amp sims, all with their own masters, I found perhaps another way around this using a single widget and no grouping.

The widget here is an LED indicator, set to read the expression pedal. It’s mapping is to the MIDI IN block, on CC27. I do like the look of this widget as it is more visual.

1: Within the plugin, set the masters on ->

• Amp 1 = CC27
  • Amp 2 = CC28
  • Amp 3 = CC 29

2: Add two MIDI processor/filter widgets. Link them to the plugin.

3: Normal MIDI input block = no change.

4: Set one MIDI filter to block all, and allow/map CC27 -> CC28.

5: Set second MIDI filter to block all, and allow/map CC27 -> CC29.

This allows for the plugin to receive CC27, CC28 & CC29 from one widget. And so far works an absolute treat, actually solving the last issue I had with getting the master volumes to work properly.

Cheers all, and thank you for your ideas and help…!!!

This is not what we tried to explain to you. A widget is an onscreen representation of controller elements and it is different from GP internal plugins or blocks like MIDI in/out or MIDI filter. We talked about wigdget groups. Please consider the following example where I grouped 3 pedal widgets in the group A. They are then synced.

However, the idea is not to map each pedal widget to a different CC message of a MIDI in block, but to map them dirrectly to the amp volume parameter of the plugin you want to control.

It is really time for you to read the manual :wink:

David-san…

Thank you again.

Honestly, I understood exactly what was explained. :smiley:

I sat down, read about grouping and tried it. Obviously it worked perfectly.

All I was sharing, was another solution that worked for me.

Again, thank you for broadening my knowledge.

So, if I understand, it is just that you prefer complicated to simple :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well, at least you experienced things :nerd_face:

1 Like

@FourPawsMedia:
I downloaded the trial version of the “Plini” plugin to see what we are talking about here…
You absolutely don’t need to juggle with any CC parameters, since the plugin exposes every parameter for host automation which makes live extremely easy!
I appended a gig file which you can try and examine…

plini-test.gig (11.5 KB)

I added three pedal widgets and one VU-widget, put them all into group “A”, then i midi-learned (only!) the first of the pedals to my hardware MIDI-pedal. Plugin-wise i connected each of the pedals with the regarding “Master” parameter of the amps (Clean, Crunch, Lead).
You can choose the regarding parameters from the list or, even easier, use the “Learn Parameter” button.

There is no need for MIDI-connections in the wiring view - everything works just by using host automation!

If there are questions: Ask! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So much for Occam!

1 Like

Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate🤓

@FourPawsMedia
BTW, i instantly fell in love with this plugin… it sounds so good! :star_struck:
I guess i have to buy it, even if i already have some guitar plugins that are not bad, but this surpasses them all.
Thanks for making me spend another 120 bucks! :wink: :smile: