Issues with GP 3.5 on new Rackmount PC

No I have not!

Yes they will but you have to save the 3.5 file using Legacy mode. This is documented in the user guide

Thanks for that tip on saving in legacy mode “dhj”

I have changed this thread name to better reflect what’s going on. @djogon, no crash reports from me yesterday. I unracked my new rackmount yesterday morning and re-racked my old one for my show yesterday afternoon. I am still evaluating next steps. I ran into multiple other issues after spending all day working with GP 3.17 on the new rackmount on Saturday and still having problems.

I suspect there may be an issue with the display adapter and/or the display adapter drivers on this new rackmount. Other than that, the only anti-virus running on it is Windows Defender. This is the same as on my old rackmount PC.I stay fairly disconnected and have other firewall protections getting into my network either way.

After I thought I had everything working great (mid-day Saturday afternoon), I documented what USB ports all my peripherals were plugged into, then set up the old rackmount on the top of the rack, plugged everything into it to set it up as a backup in case I ran into any issues before or at my show the next day (yesterday). After I double-checked my old rackmount, set up the setlist and ran through everything once, I took a dinner break. When I hooked everything back up to the new rackmount, I tried to open my gig file again. It hung at 98% loaded. I had to end task to get it to shut down. I waited a good 15 minutes for that last 2 percent to finish. Multiple reboots and retries all ended in the same result. I couldn’t find a way to figure out exactly what was causing the hang at 98 percent every time.

I re-opened the gig file I had worked from, saved is as a new gig file, then made all the same modifications as I had before. Most of the changes were simply replacing one midi output device on multiple rackspaces and setting it to send a specific program change to the device on the other end of an iConnectivity MIO. The device is a Roland SPD-30 Octapad that only has it’s midi in connected to the midi out of the MIO. I then shut down the rackmount, restarted and whoila, the 98 percent load hang happened again. I tried to remove what ‘might’ have been problematic rack spaces by modifying the gig file by hand as I’d seen suggested in another thread, but to no avail. I could NOT fix the 98 percent hang on this gig file after a reboot…

I can say that updating the display adapter driver did give a significant boost to GP startup time, however I still get visual artifact ‘hangs’ in the application. For example, most times I would click to access the File menu, it would hesitate for .5 to 1 second before opening. This is totally different than my old rackmount where the File menu pops instantly when I click on it.

I will not hook this up to try anything else any earlier than next Sunday since I’m not going to set my rig back up in the basement until after my show Saturday night. I will however be looking at a couple of other ‘weird’ things I’m seeing on the PC with it out of the rack. For one, I’m going to pull the display adapter and see if things appear to work differently with the integrated intel video display adapter. I have one other device that connects internally to the mainboard that I’m also going to disconnect to see if it clears up a device issue I see in device manager as well.

As far as trying to roll back to Gig Performer 3.27, I don’t have a copy of the install. I DID have 3.17 installer available because it was still in the downloads folder of my old rackmount. I did not see anywhere on the GP website to download older 3.x versions of the installer.

At this point, I think there is indeed a hardware/OS version going on with the new rackmount. It would be great if you could point me to some log or something I could look at to figure out how/why GP hangs at 98 percent on a gig file. I have looked at Windows event viewer (application, system and security logs) and don’t see anything beyond the application hang when it hangs at 98 percent and I end up having to shut it down.

X

@xpansion yeah - I figured that there must be something with the new hardware. I would recommend this excellent guide from people at Ableton about how to prepare/setup your Windows machine for Live performance. Some really good stuff in there - worth reading and implementing for every Windows user