Is Gig Performer + vst's really a viable live solution compared to new synth?

Are you searching for a plugin that gives you Tremolo?

Thanks…Is all that integration with the instruments useful…ie. the coloured key switch indicators? And does some of that functionality cross over to none native instrument vsts?

With Gig Performer I do not use Komplete Kontrol, so no keyzones etc.
I do that all in Gig Performer, this way it is super easy to replace the controlling Keyboard.

Ok…good to know. I think I’m probably better off learning what I’ve got first…haven’t really scratched the surface of Omnisphere yet! Thanks…time for sleep here in Australia…gets addictive all this exploration! Thanks!

Yes I am… If anyone has a tip on a good free or cheap one would be great… I’ve got one working a bit… Just sounds a bit strange…

So when you need to change the particular sound of an instrument…articulations… What method do you use Pianopaul? Foot pedal? Controller? Just curious on what you’ve found the easiest way to do this… And then keep track of it all. I liked the look of the way Komplete Kontrol just lit up all the colours… But again would be great to save buying a whole new keyboard! Thanks.

tremolo: Soundtoys

I am doing sound changes with variations and scripting

you could also take a look at this:

Switching articulation of instruments

Thanks… Will check that out! I saw someone make up a controller like this for Lightroom… May try the same thing for GG.

For basic effects, look at MeldaProduction’s free bundle here:

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MFreeFXBundle

It includes tremolo and all the effects I’ve looked at in the bundle have been very serviceable.

HTH,

Ezra

2 Likes

Thanks Ezra…I’m just looking around at the various Black Friday specials…

I’m actually fairly new to all this…so not too sure what even would be worth getting…Compressors and Reverb and Delays…Tremolo…Vibrato…a lot to get the head around!

If anyone hears of any great ‘one shop’ value for money bundles I’d be interested…but for the moment will definitely try out that MFreeFX bundle. Thanks

Edit: I did see this…don’t know if it is any good…but 92% off certainly sounds cheap!!

You have to test first.
Most of the Waves Plugins I know introduce an additional latency of about 5 msec.

On Plugin Alliance you find superb plugins, most if not all do have 0 msec latency.
You have a trial period of 10 or 14 days and they do have a subscription bundle.

2 Likes

+1 for this suggestion! :+1:
Just go ahead and give them a try.

If you’re really new to all the VST instruments and effects, I’d suggest starting with a short list of simple, basic, and free stuff. I’ll suggest Blue Cat’s freeware plugins.

Here’s my brief word of caution: there’s a nearly infinite list of these things, and if you’re prone to the thrill of superficial exploration and then moving on to the next thing, it can be addictive, unrewarding, and ultimately frustrating and unsatisfying. A bit like talking to that cute girl at the bar, half listening to her, then spotting an exotic looking beauty across the room and giving that one a shot.

I’m not disputing that it’s enjoyable and addictive. You just have to reflect on your bigger picture goals and be honest with yourself about whether indulging the lust for new toys is helping or merely distracting.

I’ve vastly cut down the number of VSTs I use over the years, and it’s definitely made me a better musician and increased my enjoyment of playing. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Thanks for this… very wise words… Could easily get caught up in vst seduction.

I think I’ll stick with what I have and the free options mentioned…

Frankly practicing my scales and the songs we’re playing + maximising what I already own is going to be a lot better use of my time…

Thanks… I’ll consider Gig Performer my purchase and focus on developing my GG rig + practicing!

1 Like

I just did a rescan while testing something yesterday ---- 1,286 plugins later…sigh

Only 1286?

1 Like

Yeah, and some will have been duplicates (AU, VST, VST3 versions) but even so, I’ve no idea what plugins I’ve got any more. On more than one occasion I have found a cool plugin online and decided to buy it only to discover that I already had it. :sleepy:

1 Like

On the other side, you have to try plugins over a period of time to know what really works.
Like edison said, he did not loose he just found thousands of ways which do not work

So as a matter of interest… If you were playing typical classic covers… And you had to give away your 1286 vsts… But allowed to keep the main instruments like your pianos and organs, Rhodes etc… + 5 effects vsts… What would they be?

What 5 effects plug ins would be your absolute go tos on a regular basis?

A compressor? A reverb? A delay? A tremolo and vibrato? Done?

I’m just trying to figure out aside from just plugging n my Pianoteqs and Omnisphere sounds…what effects that are actually useful in the signal chain?

Pianoteq
Omnisphere
Lounge Lizard
Kontakt
Blue3
Relab 480 Reverb
Soundtoys

My personal list