Interconnect div. GP3 instances with "blackhole": what latencys to expect?

i´m not yet familiar with using blackhole…
and since my PC is way to weak do i wonder:

1. what latencys is blackhole introducing between going from one GP3 instance to another?

2. is this finally also Buffer dependent ? (very important)

i´m also debating if going for a new mac, finally a professionally built Hackintosh which would be not cheap,
and “then” could it become real interesting to load several GP3 instances and send Audio from one to the other, for example for paralell FX processing of a basic and common Piano/Synth patch.

is it even possible to give an idea of the latency numbers with blackhole ?
it would be much much welcome to get an idea.
( since it also could help on my decission on a possible new PC )

1. the mostly interesting part here would be numbers (or estimations) for small buffer sizes like, 32, 64, 128, 256 samples

As noted on their website, “BlackHole is a modern MacOS virtual audio driver that allows applications to pass audio to other applications with zero additional latency.” (My emphasis)

I use Blackhole to allow Gig Performer to send audio to my DAWs, never noticed an issue — I typically run at 44.1KHz with a sample buffer size of 256, occasionally dropping down to 128 for some extremely percussive stuff.

I also use Rogue Amoeba’s Loopback (which I was using before Blackhole showed up) and even though Loopback does add a bit of latency, I’ve never noticed it in practice, which, as far as I’m concerned, is the only thing that matters.

2 Likes

ok, this is great news ! Thank you very much

i add this one here too, its macOs related:

as far i understand is using a Aggregate Device increasing the latency.
is this correct ?
how much does this increase my Audio system latency ?
…just a rough estimation to give an idea would be fine.

is there any relation with 16/44 vs. higher resolutions given of how much it affects the system ? (in case it does)

I use an aggregate device (focusrite Scarlett 4i4 and Blackhole). I run at 48 kHz. I’ve never noticed any additional latency. So I’d say don’t even worry about it!

The noticeable latency is if you’re chaining two apps together and listening/monitoring the output of the last app in the chain. So if one of the apps has a ‘lighter load’ with less demanding plugins, then I would make the buffer lower on that one in order to reduce the overall latency.

1 Like

ok, i give it a go. Thanks !

( problem is: i don´t want allways to switch back and forth.
so i load a aggregate device and keep it loaded.
…old PC, latencys ARE an issue !..but the aggregate device is needed now for recordings )