How to move thru song parts via multiple controllers?

I would like to be able to move thru song parts via the “move up” and “Move down” from several different controllers:

1. via the GuitarWing when I am on guitar,
  2. via my keyboard when I am on keyboard,
  3. via a footswitch (using MIDI Exspress I/O) when I am conducting,
  4. via the Apple IAC bus from Ableton Live

at various points in a single performance. Of course they would all transmit the same pair off cc values (96, 97). GP however seems to always tie those to a particular controller. Please tell me oh wise and mighty GP creators and users, how might I accomplish this?

Multi mapping like this is on our list but has not been implemented yet :disappointed_relieved:
However, you can do this really easily using something like the free MidiPipe application. Basically build a “pipe” that receives those commands from your controllers and then sends a single message to GP using a “midipipe” port that GP would listen to.

Other tools that could be used to do this are OSCulator, Max or Max4Live using either MIDI or by converting incoming MIDI messages from your devices into OSC messages to control GP

1 Like

FYI MidiPipe is 32-bit and will not work on Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina and beyond.

You could try this:
https://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator

I had just a quick test, but you should be able to use a second GP instance to achieve this.

1. File > Create new instance (e.g. name as ‘CC Mapping’)
  2. Create a rackspace that connects your midi inputs to a midi filter, which is set to block everything except your CC numbers for up/down, and then connect to the midi output for IAC Driver.
  3. On your main GP instance, clear the current mapping you have for Global up/down and re-learn using one of your controllers. It will hopefully detect the IAC Driver controller.

Just don’t use the IAC driver as a midi input in your second instance, or else you could create a feedback loop.

Using additional ‘midi filter’ plugins in the second instance, you could also map different CC’s to the ones you use for up/down (e.g. if it’s difficult to change the CC numbers on any of your controllers).

3 Likes

Not true - I’m running MidiPipe on 10.15