How to have a volume widget work like I want to

Next Saturday I have a 45 minute gig in a park at Moldejazz with our quintet. It’s a latin jazz, samba, groove, funky sort og gig. I will be using piano, Rhodes, Moog and B3 sounds. As it’s a jazz gig I will be improvising, and therefore would like to be able to turn up the volume on my controller while improvising. All rackspaces/variations have a volume widget.

What I want is to be able to change the volume up and down when improvising, without this doing something to the volume of the next rackspace/variation. I have turned on follow hardware to avoid the volume changing to an unknown level before I start to change it. That works fine, but it seems to cause the volume at the beginning of the next rackspace/variation to be the same as I left it at when leaving the previous rackspace/variation.

Am I doing something wrong?

How do I setup things to get it the way I want?

The Follow Hardware feature is designed to change any widget to match your controller when you change rackspaces. So what you describe is it doing this correctly.

If you don’t want this behaviour then you should turn off follow hardware.

Because your controller will no longer be matching the widget on the new rackspace you switch to, you can use the ‘Catch’ widget setting (rather than the default ‘Jump’) to ensure there are no sudden jumps in volume as you start moving your controller.

1 Like

Thx! So that will make the widget move to the saved volume for the rackspace when I move to it?

I think you can do it with these settings on the volume widget.

1 Like

Thx!

Perhaps Last Saved is the best option?

Actually if you want the value to be the same everytime you return to the rackspace/variation, then you should set a value, and select the options shown in the pic.

Try some of the options there and see what works for you the way you want it to.

2 Likes

Ok, but I suppose, if I set a fixed value it will not get changed if I change the volume and save the rackspace. I will experiment a little :smile:

Are you saying that ALL of your instruments need to change volume, or maybe one specific one per rackspace. For me, I typically have one instrument that needs a volume ‘boost’ while doing a solo. in my old rig implementation, I would simply raise the individual channel on my Korg Kronos that had that specific instrument. For my GP 4.x implementation, I will put a volume boost plugin into the mix that I enable by pushing one of the pads on my Novation Launch Control mini. Do you need EVERYTHING boosted, and if so, are they all going through a singular mono or stereo set of channels?

X

1 Like

That might be a good idea, but I think I like to be able to change the volume on the fly, not just a set boost.