Help with script - "wait for note" send to IAC

Hi,
I am intending to use GP to workaround a limitation of Logic, which is that I want to record midi into Logic such that I arm the track to record, and Logic waits for some note input before starting recording. This is implemented in quite a few hardware sequencers and surprisingly few DAWs.

So I need to create a script in GP that listens for any note data globally I think? And then when a note arrives, I need to send to the IAC port I create for Logic a record start message, which I need to research what that actually is, and immediately after that, send the note that triggered the event to the same IAC port, then exit.

I need to high this up so that I can hit a button to arm it and maybe it another button to cancel it.

Are there any templates which might speed up the creation of such a script?

Please first find out if it is possible and how, then we could imagine a simple GPScript which would do the job…

Probably because in a DAW it’s trivial to cut out the beginning empty area.

In fact these days, many DAWs do the opposite. They continuously record in the background so nothing gets lost.

Ok, well “just edit your midi by hand” is not really a solution thanks for your help.

For my understanding, you want to record MIDI with the 1st MIDI message and not silence at the beginning?

Found this forum:

So the idea is:
Midi Notes are sent to GP.
With the 1st MIDI note received from GP a MIDI message is sent to Logic via IAC and recording is started and the MIDI notes are also sent to Logic.

Is that what you want to achieve?

What’s with the sarcasm? You expressed surprise that most DAWs don’t support the feature you want and I was just suggesting the reason for why that is the case.

yes I want to wait for any midi notes incoming on a certain midi port, not clock or control messages, and when I receive one of these midi events, I want to send a midi message (probably a sysex or CC string) to an IAC port, which I guess doesn’t look any different than any other port from GP, and then forward the original note to the same port, then exit the function or whatever implement the callback.

I guess binding this to a button in GP UI is something I can dig up in the docs.

I was trying to be polite while indicating that a critique of why I want to do this is not helping me accomplish the task. I posted here instead of just figuring it out, so that future googlers and GP users will get visibility into the issue and when I post the finished code to this thread they will be happy.

I didn’t see any critique here, only an explanation.

But, well, I tried to help and you didn’t answer my question. A GP Scriptlet could be quite easy to do and could help you to accomplish the task you are trying to achieve. But I have no idea of the MIDI message you have to send to Logic to start recording.

1 Like

My reply was to the other poster.

Oh dear!

1 Like

And mine was to you.

1 Like