Hammond B-3 X (IK Multimedia)

OK, then a few widgets assigned to these parameters will do the job. They will memorize the settings on a variation basis.

I am afraid I am thinking differently…
I already have a set list of 50 songs. Half of them are with a BX3 instance. For nearly every song I have a preset saved for BX3.
So I was thinking to do like I did with my windows notebook with Cantabile.
Make a static rack with BX3 and change preset every song, I did it with a program change and it was easy and safe.
Now I switched to Mac (I am writing reasons on a separate post) and had a week working with Mainstage. Total failure!
So I am thinking to switch to GP.
And it is necessary for me to understand basics of a new application.
It seems that you guys rely on predictive load to let the GP schedule racks action.
I am in a different stream: load the biggest things and every song change the preset.
Trying to learn…

I am using Ik Multimedia in every rackspace and predictive load is disabled.
I am on Mac with 32 GB Ram, no single issue.
The gig loads 23 Songs with many other plugins.

With setlist mode you can separate rackspaces to be loaded in memory.
For example 20 songs, then a break and then the next 20 songs.
Many possibilities.
You should avoid changin presets by MIDI, jus create your rackspaces and use that rackspaces in your songs.

This was my suspect…
So one rackspace with B3X for every preset?
If it works, it sounds pretty easy!
Same with Kontakt? Rackspace with single sound and let GP do the job?
In the past I used multi sound setup with trick of changing only midi channel.
I have a new MacBook Pro with M1, it seems magic.

Yes this direction.
In my songs I am using 1 Rackspace for 1 Song and in the variations I am blocking the note on messages for plugins do not need in the variation.
This way I have very similar to patch persist as you have in using different rackspaces.
Sure the complexity of a rackspace is higher this way.
You can also use separate rackspaces and use them in the different song parts in the setlist mode.
I am using just 1 rackspace because when I was starting with Gig Performer more than 4 years ago and at that time there was no setlist mode and songs.
But as Gig Performer is getting better and better - so do my rackspaces :wink:

What keeps you from just trying it? :wink:
You wouldn’t have to build sophisticated rackspace panels for this… just create a rackspace with B3X, chose a preset, then duplicate that rackspace, chose another preset for it, and so on…
Then if you have like 10 rackspaces or so, just play along and switch between the rackspaces by random (or in order) and you will see if it works for you.

One quick note about the B-3X, you can switch drawbar registrations with the lowest octave, so you can save various drawbar registrations with a single B-3X patch, and if you need to tweak things like V/C or percussion, you can assign those to physical controllers.

1 Like

What reload? Everything is preloaded (and DLLs are shared) and each rackspace has the required settings so switching is instant. A program change requires the plugin to change all its parameters…some plugins might do this (almost) instantly but (for example) if a plugin has to change samples in response to a program change then it will most certainly take longer.

Having said that, @David-san is correct that this may be all that you need to do if only a few parameters have to be changed for each song.

Yeah…no…don’t think like that :slight_smile:

Predictive loading is a mechanism that preloads a few rackspaces at a time (rather than all of them) so that you can have more rackspaces and plugins (and maybe samples) than would fit in the available RAM and still have instant switching to the next rackspace needed for your set. The only tradeoff is that switching to an arbitrary rackspace (or song, when in setlist mode) may not load instantly.

Ok guys. Many thanks for all the support you are giving to me.
It’s nice to see an active and collaborative community.
It is a clear sign that this application works well.
In two days I will prepare my big set list.
Let’s see the final result

1 Like

@Furio …Good luck, and don’t be shy about asking questions.

Here’s a rackspace I just threw together with the B-3X. It has switches to make percussion settings, a switch/knob to handle swell C/V, and a couple of buttons that pick the swell registrations on C0 and C#0 as a demonstration of how that could be done with a script (the buttons are also momentary). With each B-3X patch, you can save custom registrations for each key in the lower octave (which I’m using to swap between various drawbar settings in my Genesis tribute). Note: you can also use the keys on a MIDI controller to do this, but I’m short on key real estate as it is.

IK Hammond Button Reg Changes.gig (24.2 KB)

3 Likes

Thanks! A Genesis tribute? Hooooorayyyy…

Anyway… I built a full long setlist for my cover band. My ultimate test.
More than 50 songs. 30 racks, where I have multiple organ preset, each as a rack. Then two pianos, three Rhodes, two mellotrons, some mono synths.
I was sure it couldn’t work but I was wrong.
30 seconds to load everything, and then every song or scene switch is immediate. Gosh…
I only need to remember I just changed religion, so I must adapt to the new one!
Thank guys, I found my live VST host. It works perfectly.
Rock on!

10 Likes

Hammond panel.gppanel (496.2 KB)

5 Likes

I agree with you, the B-3X loses a bit of drive in some drawbar settings, also has a slight overdrive. Plugins like VB3 II and Blue3 have good overdrive but have bad leslie simulations. I therefore run Blue3 through IK multimedia’s Amplitube leslie, great sound!

I was using this to get some better tube saturation out of various Hammond/Leslie VSTs. And it’s free!

This is what I use to fatten things up

I’ll throw this idea out there… for those that use an audio interface with enough I/O to dedicate a mono or stereo send/return (depending on your tonewheel to leslie chain) and are open to adding some hardware tone…

Lounsberry makes two fantastic pedals that are perfect for adding warm tone to a clonewheel. Tall and Fat (mono) / Tall Fat and Wide (stereo) is a perfect saturator and they make another pedal called Organ Grinder (mono only i believe) that is more of a boost pedal. A lot of people that play clonewheels swear by these. They are not tube based, they are FET fishboard circutry.

These are full frequency range pedals so perfect for organ but will also work on Bass, guitar, didgeridoo, harpejji, etc…

1 Like