Guitar plugs not able to stop direct guitar sound

I have RME HDSP 9652 interface.

Guitar sound comes in and I can patch it into a plug in like spark but I alway hear the dry ( Direct guitar sound) also. If i mute the plug in it should mute the total sound. There needs to be a internal wet / dry control.

Any ideas.

BTW if i start Spark plug in as a stand alone it works as it should.

Thanks
Fvf

Please post a screen shot of your wiring view

Welcome to the forum community @Fvfarrell

If your RME uses Totalmix automatically (as mine does) you should be able to open it and adjust the level of the dry guitar.

I will post a shot when I return back to the studio. But it is as simple as inputs at the top of screen my plug in mid screen and out put at the bottom. Input 1 is my guitar into input of the plugin. Output of plug goes to number 1 and 2 of sound card.

Thanks for reply

If i turn down the input in total mix it dose not go to the plugin. It is the drive signal.

Any ideas

Yeah, as @jpt already suggested, it sounds like your RME interface is routing input directly to output independently of Gig Performer.

Yes but only strange that is dose not happen when the same plug in is using the same inputs and output but in stand alone plug in and not a vst.

If it’s not your interface (which you need to check) then your plugin might not be clearing audio buffers properly. Have you tried any other plugins? If Gig Performer was responsible for this then we would have a lot of very unhappy guitar players😀

If you don’t connect anything in GP (blank gig file) do you still hear your guitar DI?

2 Likes

@dhj and @jpt are probably right, you are routing the dry signal to the output within Total Mix Fx. The test suggested by @rank13 could show it. In TM, the input gain has to stay like it is and the volume fader has to be set to 0.

If it doesn’t work, please post a screenshot of your TM matrix view additionaly to your GP wiring view requested by @dhj.

After thinking thru this, Yes you all are right. It is a drag I can’t control the input as i want from RME. My setup is a bit complicated as I have two HDSP 9652 cards and one fireface 800 in the same windows 10 box. For my home studio, playing around I use the 9652 as a mixer and then output the mix from the AES out to the AES in of the Fireface 800. Then monitor from the Fireface. If i set the interfaces to DAW mode then I lose the 9652 as a mixer and would have to use only the Fireface because it is the master output patch to all my monitors.

All of this is clocked with a Rosendahl clock so time is cool.

I mostly do mixing and not tracking at home so this had not appeared before. I really like GP4 so I will think on it a bit. For jamkazam I guess I could take the an output and hook up one of my small usb interfaces like my presonus 2 channel to catch the output from GP 4 via Jamkazam.

Any ideas

Fvf

Why not?

Why having an additionnal audio interface for this? You can use a software loopback or even an hardware loopback from a RME audio interface (that’s what I am doing).

3 Likes

So please help me to understand how to use my system in the way with a loop back.

So RME see all my interfaces as one but Software only sees the 9652 or fireface.

All my massive inputs are one to one pre patched to the adat inputs of the two 9652 cards. As a hard input or soft input. Over 40 inputs.

I don’t want to change that as was hard to get to that state. Output is only available from the fireface as it drives genelec or acutones or 4311 or different headphone amps.

This is the lay of land. Please let me know how I might use a loopback.

Thanks again for everyones input.

Fvf

It seems your are on Win, right?

For the RME hardware loopback:

• choose a stereo output that you can reach using GP and which is not used for something else (the idea will be to sen your GP MIX and anything else you want to stream to this output)
  • choose it also such that you don’t need the analog input which has the same slice number as the output you just selected
  • in TM set the Loopback option for the chosen output and it will be connected the analog input with the same channel number such that it will become available in GP inputs or for whatever you want to do with it e.g. use it as “mic input” of Jamkazam, Zoom, Skype…

Also don’t forget:

• GP Audio inputs are RME audio inputs
  • GP Audio outputs are RME software audio inputs
  • RME audio outputs are not seen in GP or other apps

Ok so for this to work I must set the rme 9652 into DAW mode because the blend of wet and direct are happen at the interface level.

Then I would need to use to do the mix of each input from the output of the plugin. If this is correct then if all the plugin are usung the same output that output would feed an input of the fireface via loopback or a hard line like I’m currently doing.

Am i getting this right?

Thank you
Fvf

I don’t understand exactly what you mean. I never use the DAW mode and can do whatever I want.

This is not clearer to me. What do you mean exactly? :thinking:

At this point my interface is in mixer mode and that is why, I beleive you guys said, I was getting the bleed from my direct inputs. That makes since to me. So in order to stop that I would need to change to DAW mode. ( ie no internal routing to outputs).

This is correct ?

Thanks
Fvf

You don’t need to be in DAW mode, but as explained before, you should set the volume (not the input gain) of your guitar dry signal to zero.

1 Like

I will test this when I get back to studio. I am pretty sure the input only gets to GP input if I have the fader in RME up in total mix. Remember this is an older RME total mix.

Thanks
Fvf