GP4 crashes when opening File / Explorer window

On the laptop I use for performance I have run into a very annoying bug. Every time Gig Performer 4 wishes to open an explorer window to either open an existing gig, opening a chord file, loading a sample file from within a plugin, any time it wants to open an Explorer window something causes a crash.

The last few times it has happened I have sent the automatic crash reports so hopefully those help.

I am running GP4 4.0.51 on Windows 10 20H2. Acer laptop with Intel i7-4500u, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD. Intel HD Graphics.

I have tried creating a new gig file and the problem persists. This does not happen on my desktop computer, everything works fine there. Is this a known problem? I have found no sign of it in my web searches.

I have tried Software Rendering and Open GL. In the meantime I am going to make sure I have all the latest drivers for my devices.

Please let me know if any more information can be helpful.

I love this program!

I don’t know why it would have mattered, but Windows Update had a Network Adapter update available in Optional Updates. After I installed it and rebooted it no longer crashes when opening a file.

Tip: Always create regular full backups of your PC.

Additionally, you can tell Windows Update not to update your drivers.

We received your crash report (thank you) and it is definitely your file explorer that’s crashing. Here’s the information from your crash report:

<ExceptionAddress>0x7ff81e02eb3e</ExceptionAddress>
<ExceptionModule>C:\Windows\System32\explorerframe.dll</ExceptionModule>
<ExceptionModuleBase>0x7ff81dfb0000</ExceptionModuleBase>
<ExceptionModuleVersion>10.0.19041.1023</ExceptionModuleVersion>

The “ExceptionModule” is where the crash happened and, as you can see, it is the explorer frame which is your file explorer. If you have any extensions that other applications put into your explorer, often without asking you, you may want to try to uninstall those.

Hope this helps.