GP while streaming

Hello all,

I have my first post-lockdown gig coming up and I’m thinking about using Gig Performer for the first time on stage. I’ll be playing guitar using Helix Native and planning on keeping it simple.

Here’s the catch!

I will need to connect to a dedicated WiFi network in order to view (stream) the graphical video score (notation) for the duration of the whole piece. Not only will the seven musicians join the network, also the audience will get access to the network via an app so they can play along.

Will this affect the performance of GP? For example, will I need to increase buffer sizes or anything like that?
Or should I play it safe and take some other gear with me or use another device to stream the video?

Curious to hear about similar experiences. Thanks in advance!

Mell

At home most time I am connected to WiFi, no issue wth GP
On Stage I avoid using WiFi
“Wie der Teufel das Weihwasser”

2 Likes

I’m also connected to WiFi/internet at home. No issues, but you can run into trouble when applications like OneDrive, Dropbox etc. start to do some work in the background → stop them/turn them off.

I’m also connected to a WiFi on stage or in our rehearsal room (mainly to control the mixing console for monitoring). This WiFi is NOT connected to the internet.

Here you can run into a diffenent trouble, as some plugins may try to connect to a license server or send some user data ‘home’ while starting. I had real problems in the past with Mainstage which I used before GP. Starting a concert took quite very long.

I think for NI you will find papers / manuals how to avoid such situations.

BBB

edit: What is Usage Data Tracking? – Native Instruments

Like NI FM8, when usage data tracking is enabled and WiFi is enabled and no connection to Internet, your CPU explodes…

Link: Gig Performer | If your fans start running hot when you load Gig Performer, it's probably not Gig Performer!

1 Like

I use a WiFi router on stage with my setup to connect my laptop with several iPads and it has been flawless for years but I wouldn’t even consider opening it up to anyone else and certainly not the audience.

1 Like

Thanks all, I’ll bring an iPad to be sure!

@tripleB : Helix Native is by Line6, not by native instruments.

@dhj Good to hear! I understand your point about opening it up to the audience but in this case they are really part of the performance. They have their own graphical video notation which is projected so they can follow and play along with the app. It’s fun!

I would use different routers.

@Mell ??? I was not referencing Line6 / Helix? Just picked NI as an example?!

I’m sorry, it’s just for clarification because I see elsewhere that people get confused with the plug-in name from Line6 versus the manufacturer NI.

You misunderstood – I would simply not allow direct access to the network that I depend on for my performance. I would want a different subnet with appropriate firewalling, etc., so that my own network would not be accessible by audience members.