GP suddenly quits randomly and now won't start at all

Windows 11, all updates.
I have noticed that occasionally Gig Performer is shut down by itself. So far it hasen’t happened while playing, only while I’ve been working on my other computer and not quitting GP on my laptop. I get back to the laptop and it’s quit out of GP.

Today it happened again, and now I can not open GP. I have tried a restart, I have tried to disconnect the soundcard, I have uninstalled the last plugin I installed (about a week ago), but to no help.
It starts to the point where it warns about the missing sound device, and If I want to enable virtual ports. Right after, it quites back to the desktop.

GP on my stationary PC works like normal. Is there any way to open GP without loading the last loaded gig file, in case there is an issue with that?

Thanks for any hints,

Frode

EDIT I found out how to open GP without the gigfile (Shoft-open), but it crashes on me when I try to load a different gig file. I’ll keep investigating. I run an RME fireface interface, it’s been rock solid at 64 samples for a month, but the last few days I’ve noticed rare short dropouts. Could there be an issue with the latest windows updates?

New update,
My recent gig file will not load, could it have become corrupt somehow? I can load other gig files, but I have done quite a lot of work on this, so it’s a bit frustrating to start this process over. Is it possible to salvage a corrupt file if this is what has happened? Any crash dump I can send somewhere for assistance?

Default med to kanaler.gig (1.1 MB)
Here is the offending gig file. It crashes my desktop also, so there is definately some issue here.
Thanks for any help with this.

Frode

It seems that one of your plugins is crashing. Gig Performer | A plugin crashed Gig Performer - how to find out which one

I opened your gig file, and it doesn’t crash, but I don’t have your plugins installed.

(I’m on Windows 11, but I turned off automatic updates - less headaches from Microsoft).

1 Like

Hi agian, and thanks, that was of great help! I narrowed it down to Meldas Superlooper.
I changed from the VST3 version to the VST version and now it loads. I’ll hit them an email. But out of curiosity, how come it suddenly crashed, it never used to do that, and there were no updates that I am aware of for the past couple of days.

Thanks,

Frode

In my experience, VST versions are more reliable than their VST3 “siblings”.

As for the updates, many stuff can happen behind the scenes automatically. Please read this free e-book to have more control over Windows: Introduction

1 Like