GP crashes while switching to 48KHz on MOTU UltraLite AVB

Hi everyone,

I like the concept of Gig Perfomer very much, it is exactly what I have been looking for a long time and so I would like to buy it.
Before doing so I today downloaded the trial version to test it on my system.

Unfortunately GP crashes while trying to switch the sample rate in the audio preferences dialogue.

My system:

• System Windows 10 Home
  • Processor Intel® Core™ i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 MHz, 4 cores, 8 logische® Prozessor(en)
  • Ram 16 GB
  • Audio devices: MOTU UltraLite AVB and MOTU 24 AVB (latter one switched off at the moment)

In the MOTU device settings I use 48 KHz / 512 samples. This works perfect with Cuabse Pro 9.5 for example.

• After runnning GP a popup appeared telling me that GP doesn’t find the audio device (I’m not sure if this had been from the very beginning, but now after running my PC down and restarting it, it appears). I’m asked to choose between Quit and Continue to choose the audio device.
  • I continued
  • In the following popup I found ASIO as driver, chose it. It worked.
  • I found MOTU Pro Audio / 44KHz as audio device, chose it, to get the MOTU as device in a first step (and to go further to change the sample rate afterwards).
  • While doing so, the MOTU device setting changed from pre-defined 48 KHz to 44 KHz, I can see this in the device settings window of MOTU, I also can hear it switching in the loudspeakers.
  • Now GP shows a window “Applying changes 0%” - and freeezes (in the task-bar I see “Error trying to apply changes” and "Device did’nt start correctly).
  • This happens every time I try, even after running down my computer and restarting it.

I hope this helps to find a solution. Due to the expiring test-version I would be grateful to get in contact with you as soon as possible …
If you need further informations, I would be happy to give it.

Thanks!
Steffen.

I myself found a SOLUTION, though I had to use force a bit:

• After closing the “Applying changes”-window and restarting the audio I/O in the GP options dialogue, the MOTU Pro Audio now is shown correctly as standard device. But still usiing 44,1 KHz
  • Then I changed this to 48KHz and klicked the red button “Apply settings”
  • The setting had been changed - but after a few seconds it changed BACK to 44,1KHz - and the windows froze again!
  • I again closed all these popup-windows, opened the GP options Audio I/O again and changed 44,1KHz once more to 48 KHz.
  • And this time it worked!
  • To be sure, I closed GP and restarted it again. The new preferences seems to be stored now.
  • I loaded a rackspace. midi-controller, VST-instrument: it worked.

So, this post is just in case some other people have similiar issues.
Best wishes,
Steffen.

Thank you for the detailed report. Some Windows drivers do not “like” changes from another application, but rather want you to change it on the device control panel. Maybe that has some implications here.

Ah, thanks - sorry, this is something I forgot to mention: after GP forced the MOTU-device to change the sample rate to 44,1KHz, I tried to switch it to 48KHz directly in the MOTU device window (as you suggested). But it didn’t work, after a moment it automatically switched back to 44,1KHz.

Never mind, now ever<thing seems to be fine and it is a great pleausre to play around with Gig Performer.

Good to hear. Thanks for the update

Hi.
Similar issue there. However not being so lucky as OP.

Setup: Win11 (unfortunately) using Surface Pro 8

I use 88.2kHz for my recordings via Motu 828es that’s connected via Thunderbolt.
Usually (but not always, just when I really need it to work) I start GP and it will force my audio Interface to 48k. No amount of setting this outside that will work. It will get reset back when GP4 is running.
No problems using other software like Reaper.
I even upgraded GP3 to GP4 as this version seemed to make the issue disappear. But no…

I’d be willing to pay extra to get this fixed.
I’m also a senior SW Architect (and C++ dev) so I can try to help any way I can with analysis.

Also to add: The other (integrated) soundcard of Ms Surface IS running on 48kHz… Fixed… No way to change this in control panel for whatever reason. Can this be somehow causing problems? GigPerfomer somehow being forced (or forcing) aligning of those sampling rates across multiple audio interfaces? Mainly looking at OP saying that he was forced down to 44.1kHz which is usually a default value for normal integrated soundcards

You should be disabling all other audio devices other than your Motu when dealing with your pro audio applications anyway.

1 Like

What I would try:

• Setting the buffer to 64 or 128
  • Disabling the integrated sound card
  • Trying different driver for Motu
  • Upgrade the firmware (the current firmware for your device is from April 12, 2022)
  • Set the buffer size and sample rate from a utility app before starting Gig Performer

All the other points except (intentionally) disabling other audio drivers were already tried. It always seems that some update will fix this but then the issue returns.
Again no issues using any other app except GP. No issues on my other surface running win10 or any other PC.

But I actually need this device. Working. Being able to choose different audio output when not working on music.
Therefore, this solution would a be a workaround for me and not a feasible setup as I have use for this machine also outside this single use - having as GP4 host

Could you tell us which apps?

Are all using the same ASIO driver?

I’m also using the 828es on win10.
No problems switching between samplerates here. So first of all I think problem relates to windows settings. Maybe the 828es is used as the windows audio interface (system sounds) and therefor causing problems?

On my PC-System I observed that my System boots faster than the 828es. So when I startup PC I check correct connection to the 828es via the browser first before starting GP.

To set the wanted samplerate I only use GP Dialog! GigPerformer will overwrite settings you make in the MOTU configuration - Steffen mentioned this behaviour before…

Normally I’m using 48Khz as I’m only using my system for liveperformance.
Just now I switched to 88,2Khz to test system behaviour. When you leave browser and MOTU configuration page open you can see that after a few seconds the 828es switches to 88,2Khz automatically. It will adopt the buffersize also (in my case it doubles from 64 samples@48Khz to 128 samples@88,2Khz).

Shortly after that GP begins to reload the complete gigfile to adopt to the new samplerate.
So I suggest to concentrate more on system than on MOTU settings!

Here you can see my motu settings, maybe it helps:

Motu828es settings

Yes sure, the problem pops up if GP4 is running alone (as only app using this driver) or in combination with other apps e.g. Reaper. Once the GP4 is started samplerate is forced to 48kHz.

If you set your sample rate in GP to 48KHz that’s what it’ll try to use.
If you are performing - no benefit in using 48KHz IMO - 41KHz is more than sufficient.

Are the other APPS using the SAME ASIO settings as GP?
You cannot run multiple applications with different sample rates on the same interface - you’ll get detuning effects even if your ASIO driver is multi-client.

Cold you post your GP audio options screenshot, please. Thanks

Thanks for your reply.
Also no problems using Win10 on my end. Problems started with Win11 (unfortunately). I don’t have more Win11 machines to try and I’m not really willing to upgrade other ones if not absolutely necessary either :wink:
Windows has it’s dedicated virtual input channel pair set on the motu sound card (so has actually my DAW and GP) to be able to mix and match the levels and route them properly. So it’s never that DAW, GP, Windows would meet on the “same input” channel (although it’s all virtual anyway). I think I’ve tried both having Windows using the soundcard as well as simply not touching it at all (using its own driver).
Anyway when Windows is using the sound card the sample rate is not changed. I use 88.2k. And can use 88.2k when playing audio using Direct Sound.
And also can use Windows playing audio (I assume using Direct Audio) and Reaper recording using ASIO. Not sure if this is really technically possible on Driver level (run 2 inputs via Direct Audio, and other ones via ASIO) but at least Reaper seems to do so, and most important is that sample rate stays on whatever I set it.

Regardint he WebUI usage on motu828.
I’m heavily using the WebUI actually, as I use this sound card also for monitoring during rehearsals (as standalone machine more or less). So the routing matrix feature is heavily used and I have 3 different monitoring paths (monitors, headphones 1, headphones 2)… I think you can actually set 4 different monitoring paths.

Sure.
I’d not use 88.2 for live for sure I’d like to use 44.1, the situation is however still that I can’t switch to OTHER sample rate than 48kHz when this issue pops up. :roll_eyes:

Also (naturally) I’ve tried setting the sample rate via GP (screenshot attached) not to let the app pull the sample rate from the card (although, Reaper can do that :wink:

→ Just for the completeness all other soundcards disabled. GP4 running as a single sole application.
$there would be a picture but new users can only upload one$
I still can’t set any other sample rate than 48kHz. Also trying to do this from time to time will crash GP4 (also few minutes before it happened) - crash report was sent

I see you are using the SPDIF-Input for bass. Could it be that there is some kind of samplerate-conflict with your external SPDIF device that prevents GP from switching to 44,1Khz?
Just a thought - no idea why this will interfere but worth checking it.

You may have to do it through the driver itself first. Have you tried that? Use the “control panel” button from the GP dialog

What happens if you do that?

Also… did you make sure your drivers are 100% win11 compatible?

In the meantime: Re-enabled the remaining sound devices again just to show that for some reason the internal soundcard of Surface pro 8 doesn’t allow other than 48kHz.
This got me suspicious because the 48kHz is also the sample rate I get “forced” towards. If I’d get any other sample rate forced… but 48kHz?

Just to reiterate the issue stays also when this device is disabled.

Motu is set as SPDIF master clock, not actually sure if the Line6 Helix can accept external SPDIF clock but somehow it manages (honestly I forgot but maybe helix was not able to be a source clock actually?) … This works as long as the motu sends 88.2kHz anyway as that’s the configured sample rate between those 2 devices, but I don’t use that for “real” stuff anyway (I’d pay more attention to clock synchronization in that case…)
For “real” stuff I use line input (and then can run Helix native plugin to get the same, but better, sound :slight_smile: )