"Global" VST instruments?

I use the same Kontakt piano as one of the VST instruments in a number of my rackspaces.
So (I think) that means during startup. GP loads that same huge piano library multiple times, (right?)
If so, then I would like having a feature that allows me to add a “global VST instrument” to any rackspace (and prevent loading same library multiple times).

1 Like

We are working on a “global rackspace”. In the mean time - you can try to use the “predictive loading” feature which will dramatically reduce the memory used if that’s the primary concern

3 Likes

What Nebojsa said! But have you checked out Modart Pianoteq as an alternative to that Kontakt piano? It’s a physical modeling approach so no samples, the plugin is small and it sounds damn great, it’s my goto piano for all acoustic needs.

1 Like

I am using Pianoteq and it is the best playing piano for live usage.

1 Like

In that future feature, “global rackspace”, it would be nice to be able to send a program change to the “global rackspace”. Then Forte users could just re-use their same existing Sampler Multi’s (e.g. Kontakt, VSampler).
Also, just thought, when the “global rackspace” is implemented, maybe I can load “one instance of Analog Lab”, and just send it a Program Change? (Not tested yet, but I think multiple Analog Lab instances might cause long gig fle load time.)

Sending program changes into plugins to switch their internal “preset” will always be discouraged in the GP world.

We understand that this is how many other applications do it because there is no other choice, but we are trying to get our users to move away from this approach - especially when it comes to samplers.

1 Like

I totally agree with that.
I avoid sending PC messages to a plugin…
like the devil avoids holy water.

With the proper use of Rackspaces or Variations and bypassing what you do not need you have a
perfectly smooth Live System.

3 Likes

OK but it seems samplers were designed to work as “multi-timbrel”, and Forte forced me to learn that, and implement it that way.
I don’t mind doing it the “Gig Performer way” as long as I do not have to load same “sample library” multiple times. So maybe the “global rackspace” will solve that issue?

With predictive load it does Not matter when you load the same samples in different rackspaces.

Some are, some are not — some plugin synths are also multitimbral (Omnisphere is a well known example).

Generally, rackspaces are the way to go for different sounds.

I have been cautiously avoiding Predictive Load (like the devil avoids holy water :grinning: ) because I still fear that having “large library loads” happening during the live show could possibly cause a glitch or “not responding” situation. I configured my pcAudioLabs laptop with 64 gb ram so I could load everything up front.

But modern samplers like Kontakt Stream from Disk or only load samples which Are really needed. So what huge libraries Are you using in what sampler?

e.g. Albion One (Kontakt)

Do you use update sample pool?

I am guessing that implies I can save an Albion (or any) Kontakt instrument with only the “needed samples” loaded?
But does it know to load all velocities for the notes needed? Otherwise obviously notes will “miss” because no one plays exact same velocity every time.

I’m late to the Pianoteq bandwagon, but it’s my go to acoustic piano now, replacing Ivory II and Ivory American Concert D. It’s excellent. The Pianoteq electric pianos are quite good, too.

I wish i could get into pianoteq like a few of you suggest it just doesnt sound authentic to me. I am using synthogy Ivory 2.5 american D and it may be a big sample library but it uses less cpu than pianoteq and the sound is amazing thru foh. This is what Billy Joel uses live.

What version of Pianoteq are you running? It was only after 6.1 that it became super realistic

Yep using the version 6 but i only got the stage version

Just load your instrument and play what you normally play including the correct velocity.
Then all unused samples can be purged.
Then you save your gig and in the plugin state this information about samples is stored.
When samples are missing because of velocity or keyrange they are loaded from disk and this is superfast.

Another option could be you just resample Kontakt for example with the Resampler BLISS.
Then you can use BLISS instead of Kontakt or you export the resamples to Soundfont format and can import that again in Kontakt.
Works fine.