Gig Performer Audio Buffer size turns Red and GP crashes if I try to change it

Thanks, Textedit won’t let me save to the Documents folder either which is one of the reasons I use downloads folder for so much . I have never been able to save anything to the Desktop folder on Catalina

OK, so the link I sent you should help - hopefully.

_can you paste the text into an email?

Can you install Gig Performer with an Admin User?

I just emailed you the MACPro crash report.
I am going to try following the steps from you link and restarting my Mac and log on to the new local id I just created with the hope that will fix the folder permissions issue.
I will log back on to my music profile once I finish and log back on this forum.

Please hold down the SHIFT key or select File -> New Gig from the main menu and with NO plugins loaded - go to options and change your settings.

Does that work?

I am back,
I can create a new .gig without issue and change settings.

Still don/t have rights to my Desktop folder or Documents folder but I have yet to run that boot up process that resets permissions. I may contact apple support for that. I am comfortable with a pc but not yet skilled enough with the Mac OS.

So the crash when changing audio settings is gone?

Although my MAC music profile was just granted admin rights as piano pass recommended and I uninstalled and reinstalled GP from a brand new profile with admin rights it still has not changed anything with my current profile. The crash only occurs when I attempt to change Audio I/O setting from my primary .gig file. The test files work fine… as long as the .gig file in question is in the downloads folder I can save other changes too.

So there must be an issue with the permissions on your machine.

So it would seem.
Let me see what can done to rectify the user account permissions and then I’ll come back to this issue.
Currently my music id is an administrative one for the moment until I can get it fixed. Thanks all.

Seems that some of your plugins are crashing. This is not an issue with Gig Performer as you can obviously change your settings at will if you don’t load your gig file.

1 Like

Apple support helped me resolve the permissions issue to my logon profile.
I’ll start removing a plugin one at a time to hopefully locate the issue.

2 Likes

DJ, Pianopaul
I found the problem. Apparently there was a problem with the Midi Expression pedal VST3 driver. https://www.audiofront.net/downloads.php
The latest driver version and date is 2.8.2.29 / 2020-08-28
Thanks for all your help tracking this down.
I would never have guessed that that one was the problem.

Problem Resolved

4 Likes

Actually it was not resolved with the latest audiofront driver. As soon as I added the plugin back to reset the pedals I tried changing audio I/O again and the problem resurfaced so it appears to be an issue between the audiofront driver for Mac Catalina and Gig Performer.
Its not a big issue though since I can run that plugin stand-alone as needed.
Just passing this on should anyone else encounter this.

I use ME (MidiExpression) in different applications.
I first used the ME app to set once and for all the controllers midi parameters - unused CC numbers in the midi implementation chart.
In GP, once the controllers are connected in the Rig Manager, the ME app or VST are no longer needed.

If you use RIG manager for all the MIDI controller parameters, whatever the initial CC, I think it should’nt make a difference and this configuration step is probably not necessary.

I did this experiment: I imagined that I needed to change a controller cc number in a daw.
I changed the value in the MidiExpression app.
I found then that this controller do not operate anymore in GP.
I can see now the changed value in GP midi monitor which is different from the one set before in the Rig Manager.
So, if I want the controller to operate as before, I have to relearn midi in the Rig Manager Midi controls window.
I quickly went back in the ME app to restore the right setting! :slight_smile:

What I meant is that, I think you can get rid of the MidiExpression app for configuring specific CC. RIG manager, and GP in general, can use any CC to control widgets. I usually prefer to keep the factory configuration, in case I have to quickly replace a controller. But of course, if you modify your controller because also also use it in DAW, the MidiExpression configuration step is perhaps necessary.

1 Like

This is the reason why I need this app, using the same controllers in 4 different applications, some of which having midi restrictions.
And it is true that otherwise the Rig Manager is a really amazing and highly efficient tool !
I am aware of this because thanks to it, I use a Roland FC-300 on large stages and a Line6 FBV Express with a Midi Expression iO on smaller spaces :grinning: