"Games Without Frontiers" Sequencer Sound

This is a question David Jameson (Security Project) would know the answer to.
In the Peter Gabriel song, “Games Without Frontiers”, there is a sequencer part Larry Fast programmed. What was the instrument he originally did this part on - an Oberheim Minisequencer?
What plugin(s) accomplish the same effect? Anything in NI Komplete?

Thanks.

As far as I know, there is no sequence in that song. Where are you hearing a sequence? Or are you talking about the electronic drum loop which was just a Roland CompuRhythm drum machine

Very brief synth under the lyric, “If looks could kill they probably will in…”

A “helicopter” synth effect.

Oh, that! Ironically, I was just talking about that sound with the guitarist this evening.

I don’t know what Larry did (wish you had asked this last Thursday as Larry was at our show last Friday and I could have asked him) but I’ll tell you how I do it.

I’m using a subtractive synth (I happened to use the AAS Ultra Analog but any subtractive synth will work) and I have Gig Performer configured so that I can quickly play two adjacent keys on one of my keyboards to generate the same two note low chord with a bit of white noise (the chord has nothing to do with the keys I pressed, it’s being generated by a PlayNotes GPScript function)

However, the trick is that as soon as I start playing notes, a timer goes off and slowly starts increasing the VCF Cutoff frequency. As soon as I stop playing, the script notices that there are no more notes coming in and stops the timer and the cutoff frequency so it’s ready for the next time.

However, I implemented that approach a long time ago. If I was going to do reimplement it I would probably just create a MIDI file that contains the notes and a continuously increasing CC message that would then drive the synth and then use my finger tapping trick to produce the effect.

See for example, this topic

1 Like

Cool… thanks for the detailed info! Wish I had known about that show with Larry Fast. Wonder what he used on the song. Could possibly be the Oberheim Minisequencer…

Well, we are on tour for the next few weeks

https://securityprojectband.com/shows/

5 Likes