How: "Direct load" access to "different GP3/GP4 instances"? SOLVED

edit: was posted as a wish in the wishlist subforum, but turns out its allready doable ±, with some small hack.

EDIT: complete rewrite of this initial Post 5. June 21.

my point was/is:
to load the alternative instances of GP3/GP4, without any need to load first the main GP3/GP4 instance .
Usually, you would load “*your GP”, and then from there open alternative instances in parallel.

Member @rank13 has provided a small (computer) script (MacOS),
which allows to load alternative GP3/GP4 instances directly from the menubar in your Mac.
----> see for this: Post 27, 34, 36

The win or sense of this type of use ?
i for example want to use GP3/GP4 in different (side-) usecase scenarios,
—> with different Audio-device settings. (important point here)
For example to process audio coming from wavelab with FX*,
or processing audio coming from multimedia ( Netflix(Soundclound) for example to tame Bass and dynamics late at night.
(* the advantage here is: if i save FX presets from Wavelab, are these not available for my FX when loaded in GP, it becomes a thing versus “consistent FX preset uses”)

If i would use my main GP3-4 instance for such side scenarios, and would reset the audio settings to work for these usecases, would my main GP3-4 load with these settings at my next start up, when i just want to make music !

i have higher loading times, due to using many rackspaces in my gigs.
Means: i had then first to load a new Gig, my “old” musik making gig ( …takes its time),
and then i had to reset my audio settings, which inclouds a reload of the whole Gig ( …takes again its time )

For that type of usecase can it be a nice win, to just directly open a “alternative GP instance” !
it has not worked out allways. sometimes i´m losing my settings on that alternative instance and have to reset the audio settings, which is not a problem, since they load fast (simple Racks).
sometimes i would lose my audio settings on my main GP instance,…not shure on the causes.

all in all, it adds quite nicely its part to the overall functionality of GP, to have these alternative GP instances available by just one mouse-click.

I am lost, what are you doing?

You know how to use the multi instance feature of GP?

@pianopaul I think this is the key request. To be able to have the program name listed differently for the different instances, and be able to open an instance directly, without needing to use the File > Open Existing Instance.

1 Like

OK, but that is only the half of the story as each instance has its own settings.
Just opening a “renamed” executable…how should that executable find its own settings?

You can start GP with the option:
-in=nameOfTheInstance
to open it with the right settings defined in the instance.

Windows only?

I don’t think so.

Yep, ok. I could launch an instance directly from the command prompt using:

/Applications/GigPerformer3.app/Contents/MacOS/GigPerformer3 -in=myInstanceName

2 Likes

would this allow me to open any of lets say Four GP3 instances as i like,
the GP3 instance starts then with the last used gig file ?

the “option” you describe is finally allready above my head.*
it means a stumbling block…i have no clue whats to do, even not, seeing “rank13s” post.

yes, i used it sometimes.
but it feels not like made for me and how my brain works.
it creates a hurdle for my brain

i can´t say how much of the given oportunities i missed…but i definitly know:
i would like to have 4 independend programms installed, each with its own desktop Icon.
GP3-1 / GP3-2 / GP3-3 / GP3-4.

it just changes how the brain recognises it.

i give the text command a try, but i´d need a hand :wink:

I don’t have a Mac so I don’t know how it works, but it is probably quite close that what exists for Win. The idea is to create a shortcut/link or whatever the name it has on Mac and define it with something like that:

/Applications/GigPerformer3.app/Contents/MacOS/GigPerformer3 -in=myInstanceName

You have to create supplementary instances for that:

1 Like

Thnaks fro the help !
i need a guide ti where on my mac i have to type the command in.
…i´m absoluetely lost ion such things.

and how would i handle the whole name sheme ?
can i create founr GP3 instances, named: -1, -2, -3, -4 and then allways open these , in that way, directly ?
do they act each as a own instance that rememebrs its last used gig ?
which would be an absolutely essential point

Absolutely!

1 Like

yeah, thats what i have donne in the past.

but to me, i can´t open instance #2 bevore i open instance #1.
here the things fell apart for my needs. edit:( my feature request comes from here, that point)

i don´t want to load my #1, change the buffer settings and audio interface settings, to run a side car GP3.,
(edit: which creates the need to change all the settings again when i load my “musik making” GP3 Gig

i can´t comment about, how much of the allready given options i am missing.
so, there is maybe allready a solution ?

Yes you can if you have shortcuts (or whatever the name it has)

Keep the same audio settings for all instances!

not doable

i really just freshly run into completly new uses for GP3.
GP3 was so far just a “musik making” device.

but i want to use it also as a “FX Box within my computer”.
thats completly independend uses !
i have even several different uses, …to use a VST Host as a “FX Box”

there is one thing to note on this:
if i use GP3 as my FX Box, instead of loading VST FX into wavelab, or other aplications or VST-Hosts,
is it also creating a common ground to share the specific VST-FX presets.
right now, do i NOT have access to my FX-presets that were created in GP3, …when i´d like to use them in wavelab.

thus on all this, is it a main need to open and run differnet GP3 instance with their specific audio settings,
without any need to chnage anything at start up.
Thats where my request was coming from :wink:

where on my mac would i have to type this in ?

Of course it is. I am talking about sample rate and audio buffer. Whatever you do with your GP instances, of course you can keep identical auidio settings!

There’s lots of utility apps for Mac that can launch scripts, and even ones like BetterTouchTool you can create a separate menu bar icon for each one of them.

But the simple free option is to add the menu bar icon for the Mac Script Editor, which allows you to launch them from a menu:

So this can launch the instances directly. However it won’t name the apps separately in the dock - it will still be the same as it currently is - with multiple GP3 app icons, and the instance name listed in the window title bar.

Let me know if this looks helpful, and I can provide instructions.

2 Likes