Design principles

Actually, it had happened before during programming. I remember wondering how that happened.

First I assign the virtual knob on the front of the rackspace to Gain Control using ‘learn’.
Then I assign the virtual knob to the physical knob on the Korg, also using ‘learn’.

I don’t think I have restarted GP since the gig last night, so I can check later.

I didn’t look at the MIDI activity light, but even if I was, I was adjusting the volume while playing.

Yes, I could keep on playing, although I did feel there were discrepancies in the levels; not only the over-all level but also the balance between different parts. But I can’t say that with certainty; that could just be in my mind.

Odd. Upon restart, some of them do respond, some don’t…

We are wondering if you inadvertently changed the MIDI channel on your keyboard? Do you have a MIDI Monitor (like the one from http://snoize.com) you can use to look at the incoming data before it reaches GP? Also, GP has a basic MIDI Monitor window as well now. Check that the values you learned for widgets are in fact what are still being sent into GP

Unlikely, to change the MIDI channel on the Korg you have to actually delve into the menu, it’s not something you can do inadvertently. I haven’t gigged with it since, but will take it out again tomorrow and on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, my trial ended and I decided to go for the purchase, so I’m now an official customer :wink:

I’m preparing my rackspaces for tomorrow, but the oddest thing has happened: the VI’s do not respond to the bottom C (C0 in GP) on my Korg! The MIDI Input indicator does light up when I play it, but nothing coming out of Kontakt and/or Omnisphere.
I have tried to restart both Gp and the Krome, to no avail. It is consistent over different Rackspaces within the Gig.

What gives?

P.S. I downloaded snoize, and there seems to be a continuous stream of MIDI clock data coming from the Krome. Other than that, nothing.

Is this new behavior? I.e, were the VIs responding once and have stopped responding or is that they never responded

Korg devices do send MIDI clock events continuously. You can filter those out with the snoize Midi Monitor so they don’t distract you.

I don’t know about Omnisphere offhand, but have you checked the sample map for your Kontakt preset to make sure that there is actually a sample at that location?

Yes, and it’s not just Kontakt; both instruments. Really odd, as I’m using the same Gigs and Rackspaces I have used before. They did not do this then.

Like I said, the MIDI indicator does light up when I play that key.

About the MIDI volume disconnect I mentioned in the earlier post, I simply had the knob on the front of the rackspace ‘learn’ the hardware controller (the Krome).

I also use the Krome’s inc/dec buttons and num pad to switch between Rackspaces. Trying to figure this out, I realized thatdifferent patches on the Krome often have different CC’s assigned to the knobs. Could that have caused the disconnect?

I figured I could map the physical knobs to the same CC’s for every patch and see if that helps…

Guys?

I forgot to mention I did update GP to the latest version. Could that have something to do with it?

Where are you based? It might make sense to do a desktop sharing session to see what’s going on here.

I’m in the LA area, Redondo Beach

We’re all on EST. Send an email to us through the “Contact Us” on the support page and we’ll reach out to you directly to see if we can figure out what’s going on.

Hi @pianopaul. I am just delving more deeply into using Ableton live and was intrigued by the intercommunication you describe using between Live and GP. What are the names of the Max patches you are using? I assume the “special track in Ableton live” is a MIDI track with a MIDI clip, is that correct? Do you use LINK or do you trigger Live from GP’s transport?

Thanks!