Demo crashes on start

I think they often don’t, because they don’t immediately find where to do it. The underlying question is, does it make sense to send the crash report without the additional information? (at least a contact email)

1. It makes sense because we can still look at a crash report and see if the issue was in Gig Performer or in a plugin - if the latter, we can either ignore it or WE can forward crash report to plugin developer. We simply can’t report it back to the user.

2. We respect privacy laws (and I wish the US had some decent laws like the EU GDPR stuff) and so we are not going to FORCE a user to reveal their email address if they don’t want to give it to us – but we’d still like to see the crash report in case it is a GP issue.

Actually, I’m more concerned about losing users unnecessarily because they encounter a crash, don’t realize it’s due to a plugin (that’s the most likely scenario these days) and so assume it’s Gig Performer and so they just move on and don’t bother to reach out to us.

I had wondered about sandboxing. I found this a good read about the trade-offs

https://ardour.org/plugins-in-process.html

Yeah, that’s on our list already

This would be THE major improvement for GP5. :+1:

Perhaps you could automatically analyze the crash log and report about the guilty plugin in the crash dialog? Perhaps even propose to the users to disable it for a while for testing purposes…

Maybe — the tradeoffs may not be worth it for real-time —

Reducing the latency to the minimum is probably the big challenge. :grimacing:

And if you don’t use buggy plugins (i.e., lots of testing long before your show), it may simply not be worth the effort.

1 Like

Yes I agree, but being able to optionally sandbox some suspicious plugins could show that GP is not guilty in some crashes. But of course I dream from a very low latency sandbox, which will perhaps not be achievable. :innocent:

Sure — which of the other 1,000 or so items on our wish list should we drop to do this one?:innocent:

2 Likes

No kidding, I thought the same and that’s why yesterday I oppened OBS to capture a video of me sending the report. Before I open the OBS app Gig had crashed, but after I get ready to capture it didn’t crashed anytime. :sweat_smile:

I will try again tonight.

Bitwig offers this feature and It saved me a lot of trouble with the Arturia Spark before I given up using it.

Bitwig is DAW and are you able to play live with bitwig and sandbox and low latency?

I didn’t found a button to save the report, but here is a proof I’m sending it:

I’m not doing a Bitwig promotion here but in fact yes. Gig Performer is changing my audio interface buffer to 512 samples (around 10ms) and it crashes if I try to change it.

Here you can see I’m running an unreal test 7 resouce intense plugins for both disk and cpu (specially system 8, Repro-5 at Hi Quality and the Hammond) and my system is holding well.

I’m just doing because you asked.

But what I can’t do with the Gig Performer that I can’t with BitWig?

• configure it to use pedals as a momentary switch to turn plugins on/off
  • remap keyboard keys to do dispatch Karma like events like, repeat notes
  • save a group of plugins as one preset and import in other performances, etc
  • use it in both windows and mac (I didn’t tested but I’m pretty run it runs smooth on mac)

That’s why I’m really wishing to make it work on my machine so I could buy it

This sounds like a driver issue. Can you please try installing different driver versions to test whether they crash Gig Performer.

I suggest that you try:

• UMC Driver 4.59 (for Windows 7 to 10) - 2019-03-14
  • UMC Driver 5.0 (for Windows 10) - 2021-02-25
  • UMC Driver 5.12.0 (for Windows 10) - 2021-07-06

Try “Momentary to latching”

To save a plugin goup: Just select all your desired plugins and in the plugin popup menu

An via the plugin menu you can reload your saved favorite

emap keyboard keys to do dispatch Karma like events like, repeat notes

There are many plugins out there you can use, or use scripting - a bunch of possibilities

@danimiclos we received your last report containing your email address, but it didn’t even contain the “module” (application or a plugin) which crashed. When does this happen? As soon as you start GP or you are running GP and then it crashes?

Gig Performer will not change your interface settings on its own. The only thing that it will do is possibly notify you on startup that the last used interface is not available.

It seems to me that there are some issues with your interface/driver/configuration… Try different drivers as @npudar suggested.