Custom Widget Curve to trigger Effect on and off

I have a song where I want my expression pedal to trigger an effect on when I depress it slightly and off when fully engaged. I put together a custom curve that has the widget value over 50 with the pedal about 10% depressed but back to -0- when fully engaged.

It seems like regardless of what my curve looks like the pedal triggers the effect when 1/2 engaged (irrespective of the widget value in my custom curve) and does not turn off when fully depressed

The effect bypass is in the Global Rackspace (Phaser) and I have the widget in the preset rackspace where it is tied to a parameter in the Global Rackspace. Hope this makes sense?

Am I missing something?

MM

On further research, I see that those curves work on things like level changes or parameter settings that go from 0-100. But do those same curves work on bypass (or on/off) parameters where 0-50 is off and 51-100 is on?

Sure …just make a square one

screenshot_6283

Try loading the attached “curve”

OffOn.gpscale (10.8 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks but I’m not sure I’m being clear. A diagonal slope line would serve the same purpose I think as anything over half triggers an on/off to on. So it doesn’t have to be at 100 to do that I think.

My issue is that for items that have only two settings like off and on, can I get an expression pedal to turn them on and off at different levels of depressing the expression pedal. So heel is off, mid is on and toe is off as an example.

My experience with these is irrespective of the curve those items only register the level of pressing the expression pedal. So more than half is on and less is off regardless of the curve.

Does the at make sense?

Thanks!!!

I think it is still the same as what @dhj demonstrated. Use the square/wall. AFAIK having a slope will send these slope/curve values to the plugin. Not every plugin may treat 0.5 as the point that their parameter switches on and off. So use the square shape and you don’t have to worry about this, as it will always be an immediate change between 0.0 and 1.0.

To have both toe and heal as off, you simply have the square/block in the middle of the range, so something like 0-25 is 0.0, 25-75 is 1.0, and 75-100 is back to 0.0.

Yes, that’s the whole point of scaling curves, they scale your input!

I think you’re confusing the physical pedal movement, for which the widget which will always move the entire range of the pedal with the value that gets sent to the parameter, which is represented by the orange color that goes full on and then full off, etc as you move the pedal. So here’s an example where the parameter will only be on when the pedal is in the middle of the range

screenshot_6286

and here’s the expression pedal widget moving as I move the physical control. Note when the back of it turns to orange and back to black
2022-09-30 07-20-39.2022-09-30 07_23_36

2 Likes

Thanks guys! I’ll try again this morning. When I did this last night, the widget representing the phaser pedal was only turning on when I crossed the 50% mark of the expression pedal movement regardless of the scaling curve. Appreciate the guidance as always from this great forum!!

MM

maybe look at this this way:
the X-axis on your widget editor, IS your timeline versus your movement of your controller.

If this on-off switching etc. HAS to be in conjunction with any other parameters,
then just watch in the opened editor the shown values ( text).

check dhjs screenshot.
On the upper boarder of the picture are you seeing:
“widget value” and “scaled value”

Thats extremly helpful to “recognise” that bot values are in fact shown in plain text.
its a perfect starting point to “synchronise” widget values one vs. others.

1 Like

OK here is what I’ve found out. The bypass works for the effect based on the curve but the widget only moves from off to on based on the depression of the expression pedal. I would have thought the buttons would go from off to on and back to off but they don’t even though the effect operates correctly.

Here is a file using a stock apple plug in (distortion). Does this makes sense or is there a way for the widget to mimic the on /off based on the scaling curve?

Thanks

bypass test.gig (53.7 KB)

This is exactly how it is supposed to work. The main widget position always reflects the physical position of the hardware controller.

The background color changes position to represent the value that will actually be sent out to the parameter.

Ok thanks @dhj . Is there a way to have it reflect the status of the effect? (Bypassed or active?)

Meh - just attach another widget, e.g. an LED to the same parameter.

2022-09-30 11-28-15.2022-09-30 11_28_33

I would encourage you to review the online documentation about scaling curves to understand better how this stuff all works

@dhj I have read through that section (although it may not seem that way) and sorry to be dense on this but what i meant (as an example) was to have the led start off (which works fine), turn on when the scaling curve enables the plug in and turn off when the scaling curve disables the plug in. In my example file the led and switch both turn on based on the physical controller position (which I know is how it is supposed to work). I’m wondering if there is a way for it to do it based on the scaled curve and light up when engaged (like a foot pedal would). If not , fine just trying to see if it could be done.

Thanks so much!

Because you put the scaling curve on all three widgets — just put it on the expression widget.

bypass test.gig (49.7 KB)

Ooops – I realized you also associated those other widgets with the MIDI controller — don’t do that — just associated them with the BYPASS parameter and only associated the expression pedal with your physical controller

2022-09-30 12-05-16.2022-09-30 12_05_27

Brilliant David!!!Thank you!

And then if that same expression pedal controls (say a distortion pedal) with a normal curve, do you just create another instance of it and map it to the same midi cc?

You can use widget groups

And the benefit of that is what? I would need different scaling curves, so I’m thinking I just don’t need to assign the midi cc if I group it?

Thanks

You can have different scaling curves in grouped widgets.

1 Like

I’ll check it out. Thanks.