Consequnce of Turning Off Controller During Sessions

So, I sort of absent-mindedly turned off my keyboard controller during a rehearsal. Before I started using GP sometimes I would do this just to clear out a setting. This synth starts up very quickly, so was no big deal.

But, I noticed that with GP running, the keyboard was no longer recognized by GP.

And, I was a bit surprised I could not just re-connect it in the Rig Manager. It would not recognize the keyboard when I double clicked on the alias.

So, I had to restart GP, which, as I you know takes some time (to load up the samples).

So, going forward, I will make sure I do not turn off the controller keyboard.

But, is this sort of expected behavior?

What could be seen in the global midi monitor when you played notes on the keyboards?

What should doubleclick help?

I double-clicked on the alias name in the Rig Manager and hit the key on the controller.

What happens with doubleclick?
Did you choose the menu entry „Learn MIDI device“?

If it happens again I’ll try that. But, I thought double-clicking on the alias is the same.

I think it lights up both alias for both keyboards, but does not connect the CTK7200.

(I tried to check that both aliases are set up right. When I look in the midi inputs (in the rackspace) for each keyboard, the proper keyboard (the one currently use) is greyed out, as I believe it should be. So, I think my midi input are set correctly.)

The underlying question is really whether your computer redetected the MIDI device. The Rig Manager allows you to map a physical device to a name but if the computer didn’t redetect the physical controller then there’s nothing that GP can do.

He said that after restart Gig Performer it was working again.

I often times power down my XK-5 and leave GP running. When I boot the XK up again there is a momentary lag but GP soon recognizes it and all is well.

Because I run scripts that utilize the XK, I have to recompile those but then I am back up and running, very easy.

I’m hooked up to USB midi, not DIN but I don’t think that should make a difference.

It sounds like maybe the connection loss was so quick that GP never detected the drop or never detected the reconnection.

Anyway… in practice there is no reason this should be a problem to turn off your controller and leave GP running.

I just saw this. Yes, if it happens again, I will take a look. (But I am going to try to avoid it).

Following up on Brandon’s point, maybe if I clicked on “Remove MIDI device association” and then tried to learn the device again (by double clicking and hitting a key or using the Learn MIDI device command) that would work to fix the issue without having to restart GP.

You shouldn’t have to change anything in the Rig Manager.

I’d conduct a test. Have everything setup as you like it, as it should be including your device fully aliased in the Rig Manager propertly. Do a contolled shutdown in ‘proper order’ by quitting GP, turning off your controller then reverse that for a boot. Does everything work correct when you are back in GP?

If so… now test just turning off your controller. Watch GP screen when you do this. It will print messages on the screen near the top indicating devices that are disconnected. It might report the keyboard and a midi interface, depending on how you connect your controller (USB vs. DIN via interface). After about 5-10 seconds, boot up your controller again. Watch the screen again, does GP print a message that the devices are re-connected? Is everything working correctly?

It should be. If not and if nothing else is changing then the only explanation I can offer is that your computer is not detectting the midi interface in the same way and it thinks its a different device. I’ve not seen this happen unless I change how I am patched to my computer. For instance, to your computer and therefore to GP, if you connect yoru keyboard via USB but then connect it via a DIN plug to a midi interface, your computer sees those as two different devices. In that case, yes you would then need to go to Rig Manager, click on the missing device and quickly learn it now you are connected to a different interface.

This should not happen if you are not changing your interface and just booting down your controller but there could be a reason… like a ‘smart usb hub’ or third party software interfearing but it would be the first I’ve heard of this.

So start small with the controlled experiment I outlined.

Turning off your controller is perfectly valid. Mine has tubes in it so I don’t leave it on. I switch it off and I sleep my computer 90% of the time without shutting down GP. I wake the computer, turn on the controller (click a button to recompile all my scripts) and boom… I’m back.

A small update on this.

I have not gone through the full test Brandon mentioned.

But, I did accidentally turn off my PX350 while connected to GP.

And it behaved the same way as before. It no longer recognized PX350. And when I tried to re-associate it in Rig Manager (I think that is the proper term) by double clicking on the alias and hitting a note on the keyboard, it did not connect (I think it did not respond at all).

I tried disassociating the keyboard from the alias and re-associating it (by double clicking on the alias and hitting a note on the keyboard), but that also did not work.

Then I pulled out the usb cable and reconnected it to my keyboard and I was able to get it properly re-associated in the Rig Manager (By double clicking on the alias and hitting a note on the keyboard).

So, the good news is, if this happens again, it is not a huge deal to pull the usb cable out and reinsert it.

If you guys want to intelligently interpret out what that means, I am all ears/eyes. But, all I know is this is much less disruptive/time consuming than restarting GP.

Jeff

How is that PX350 physically connected to GP?

Are you strictly buss powering your keyboard with the USB or are you powereing it with AC/DC current?

And you are not going into a hub, you are going direct to the computer correct? Is this a laptop or a desktop/NUC? Win or Mac?

Something about your keyboard / computer is not recognizing the connection to the host/perifiral when you just power it up. It’s possible it’s GP specific but not likely, it’s probably your keyboard or computer not understanding the link.

Have you tried starting GP with the keyboard off and then turning it on and seeing if you can get a connection without having to re-stab the USB?

Do you have anything else that has an on/off button or external power supply, like a printer or scanner that plugs into your computer with USB where you can test if power cycling that item allows for reconnection to the computer without re-stabbing USB?

Both keyboards are running through a (powered) USB hub to my laptop. So, I’m guessing that is a factor.

I have not tried testing starting GP then turning on the keyboard. I can try that.

The keyboards are plugged in to power strips. That is how they are powered (not usb).

I am using a Dell XPS 13 laptop. (I’ll check to see if I missed other questions).

Through a powered USB hub.

See if you can temporarily bypass the hub and recreate the issue.

If you can’t recreate it direct connected to the laptop, it’s the hub and I’d suspect this. Not that it’s the end of the world but I’ve sometimes seen this kind of behavior with hubs and sometimes power cycling the hub ‘fixes’ the issue if it also has AC/DC supply power.

You might also see if there is an updated driver for the hub.

Will do. Thx!