Changing Audio device issues?

Sometimes my Mac is pointing to MacBook Pro Speakers. I may have used my Mac away from my standard equipment.

1. Why when changing the Audio Device in GigPerformer does it seem like it needs to rewrite all of the Racks or something? In other DAWs (even with multiple plug-ins loaded), it seems like a quick change.

2. I have at times experienced lockups, or crashes when changing audio devices.

Because of this, I have set my GP to NOT load any Gigs on startup. It seems to behave far better when changing audio devices if no racks are loaded. But sometimes I don’t realize what audio device I’m pointing to until I’ve already loaded a Gig and start playing.

How many plugins are loaded in those other DAWs? Remember that in GP, you will typically have way more plugins loaded than you would in a DAW. As we sometimes note, you could think of a single rackspace in GP to be almost equivalent to an entire session of a DAW.

Also, something we have observed is that quite a few plugins do not respond properly to just a reset request (some even crash) and a complete reload eliminates that problem.

2 Likes

If you had one rackspace with a few plugins loaded it will also be quick :slight_smile: Many plugins will produce wrong results and do not handle the change well. Note that you could keep the interface the same but change the sample rate for example which means that all the plugins need to be reset.

Typically this will be happening because some plugin is not handling this change well.

You could say “New gig”, change the settings and then reload the gig if that’s more stable for you.

2 Likes

This all makes perfect sense. Thanks guys!

Generally if I want to do this, I just hold the Shift key down while opening GP which temporarily stops the gig from loading. Then I can change audio settings if necessary and then open the gigfile

1 Like

There ya go. I like that option.