Can't get assigned Program Changes to work

So. New to GP. I’m trying to assign different pads on my Keylab 88 to change to different rackspaces. From my understanding of reading this forum and the documentation what I’ve done should be working, but it’s not. Looking at the Midi monitor I am sending messages such as “Program Change 2 Channel 1”, but nothing happens. I do have program change numbers assigned in my variations. I’d be happy to upload screen shots if there is a way of doing so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m happy to document my experiences further if that will help diagnosis.

Regards,

Ezra Herman

Can you post your gig file, so I can take a look at that?

Here you go: GB New.gig (114.0 KB)

Thanks,

Please upload an image of the Global MIDI options.

Sure. They should all be at default values

Thanks for your help. -Ezra

Also, for good measure, here is a sample of the MIDI commands I’m sending when I’m trying to make a program change. This is the result of pressing two pads that I’ve assigned to send program change commands.

These CC 0 and CC 32 I do not like.
Try to check “Ignore bank switch commands …”

1 Like

Paul-

That did it! Thanks. I spent so much some time on that.

One oddity, though. Sending program change 1 from Midi In changes GP to program 2, 2 goes to three and n goes to n+1. Not a big deal, very easy to allow for. (Puts me in mind of the old joke about programmers going through life off by 1.)

Regards,

Ezra

Try checking the “Use zero-based PC numbers” box.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s one of the workarounds. Thanks.

Well, it’s not really a workaround — some systems use 1-128 and others use 0-127.
In fact, the actual MIDI program change value that gets sent out is between 0 and 127.

Hmm, just to clarify, it is not that there is a problem with those bank switch numbers (CC 0 and CC 32) but rather that by default, your Gig Performer rackspaces are expecting the bank to be 0 (unless you changed it) rather than to bank 127, which is the bank number that your Keylab is sending out.

@pianopaul’s solution to ignore bank switches is fine unless you actually need to respond to more than 128 program changes in which case you will have to deal with those bank switch numbers.

1 Like

I just meant workaround for me. The other option I thought about is to adjust the program change messages.

Thanks,

Ezra

@dhj thx for the clarification.
As I never work with program change numbers I do not like them :wink:

1 Like