Both Happy and Unhappy

I took the plunge and bought Gig Performer today! Coming from MainStage I could clearly see the many advantages of using Gig Performer. Especially designing the layout in MS leaves much to be desired.

I have worked with Gig Performer throughout the day to get to know the program and I am slowly starting to understand how it all works. There are however som major quirks when working in Rack Space Edit Mode:

First of all: WHY IS THERE NO UNDO???!?? Come on, guys, we have reached 2019 and undo is not only a human right. It’s also crucial when working with apps like this. How hard can it be to implement this in Gig Performer? I sincerely hope this is in the planning for future versions.

Also when copying and pasting objects the arrow keys will not work until I have moved the pasted objects at least once! This makes it so much more cumbersome to work with layouts.

Finally, the possibility to group objects would also be handy and why not some kind of grid that the ojects could lock on to?

I really hope that all these issues will be adressed soon. I don’t want to revert to MainStage just because of these things.

Hi,

welcome to the community.
The things you mentioned will be addressed in future updates I think.
But undo is not as easy as for example in word…

Please do not give up exploring the amazing features in Gig Performer when you are unhappy with the things you mentioned.

As deeper you dive in you will love Gig Performer

Welcome to the GP community. You are right some things can still be improved and it will surely be the case :wink:

I guess you noticed the widgets group placement options that appear when you select several widgets (align or spread selected widgets).
Good luck with GP, I am sure you will love it.

Implementing an Undo manager is not as easy as everybody thinks (if it’s done well). Which does not mean that the GP developers are not able to do it but just means that other things got a higher priority.

Anyway I agree with your feature wishes and I understand that editing could be more convenient. And I’m sure it’s only a matter of time.

But other things in GP are so amazing and special that I guess you won’t revert to MainStage once you got started :slight_smile:

Yes, as others have mentioned, Undo is one of those things that, while from the user perspective, seems like it ought to be trivial, is in fact quite complex. In fact, even MS only has a limited amount of Undo capability. For example, you can undo layout insertion and movements, and undo insertion of plugins into channel strips (which, by the way is way easier to handle than in a free-form system like ours) but if you start tweaking knobs, or adjusting faders, etc, you can’t undo those actions to get back to a previous sound, for example).

I’m not making excuses. This is most certainly something we recognize we want/need to add to Gig Performer. It’s simply the case that it has been a lower priority than other really critical features we felt were necessary to do first and now that you are onboard, you’ll see some of those other things coming down the pipeline.

We’ll get there - just can’t say when. Hopefully you will (or already did) find other GP functionality to suit your needs.

Thanks! I appreciate your answers and suggestions. While I recognize that Undo is a complex function to implement it is nevertheless an important one. I hope to see it in a not so distant future.

And while you are at it: The Audio Playback plugin is also in need of an upgrade. This is one of the stronger features in MainStage and right now your version just can’t compete.

What features are you missing in Audioplayer?
The Mainstage playback plugin can only play 1 AIFF,WAV or CAF File.
The Audioplayer in Gig Performer can play 8 files and MP3 also.
So in Gig Performer you have 1 place where you can adjust your volume and pan.
In Mainstage you would have different channels right?

In General: for more complex audio playing like looping, jump to sections etc I would use
a special Software like Ableton Live or Cubase or Logic or …

Welcome to our forums and thanks for your feedback. Would you care to give more details about missing features in the Audio Player please. We typically do listen to our users, write down suggestions and implement them if we like them.

I’d like to see the audio player handle flac format.

I’d like to see Undo while editing a rack. I move things a couple pixels by mistake far too often, and then I go to lasso a whole group to “align top” so I can even it out and end up moving the first thing I touch instead of selecting the whole group.