Audio tails cut-off on rackspace change

I have come across some similar posts on this, but wanted to post my findings in a new topic.

Today I was specifically attempting to get delay tails to continue when I change rackspaces, and was also facing issues with them being cut off immediately, even though the max audio tail length was set to 10 secs. I am using guitar amp sim plugins.

With a bit of trial and error this was something I found:

• If I had my audio In/Out set to my Focusrite 2i2 (2 ins/2 outs) then the delay tails WERE continuing into the next rackspace.
  • If I had my Output Device set to the Mac ‘Aggregate Device’ (2i2 and soundflower 64) but had reduced the aggregate outputs to just 6 outputs, then the delay tails were heard for about half the time as when only using the 2i2 outputs.
  • If I had my Output Device set the Aggregate Device, but had all 66 outputs active, the delay tail was cut off immediately when I changed rackspaces.

So there seems to be something about the number of outputs affecting the audio tail? Hopefully someone else can replicate this!

1 Like

Then, if you return to that rack after quite some time… does it continue the remainder of the tail?
I’ve experienced this…

@EnjoyRC,

this comes from “buggy” Plugin, for example when using Eventide Blackhole this effect can be heard when switching back to the rackspace.
When using Relab 480L this does not occur.
I contacted some plugin developers and they will change that, for example iZotope.

Great find. This will be fixed in the next update coming quite soon

1 Like

The same “buggy” effect occurs with
Valhalla Room,
Audiothing Outer Space.,
Ik Multimedia CSR Plate,

My Valhalla did it too…

Awesome, thank you!

Outer Space specifically fixed this issue when our users and we reported the behaviour to them. Make sure you have the latest version and try using other type of a plugin VST2/VST33 etc…

I reinstalled newest version of outer space. Same Problem:

• e.g. you have one rack space variation or a song part, using this variation.
  • Outer space intensity quite high for an echo dub effectvariation1. You switch another rackspace or another song linked to another rackspace.
    the audio tail behaviour is behaving correctly, as set (e.g. 4 seconds)
  • when switching to a new song, linked to the effectvariation1, the audio buffer of the plugin is still
    undeleleted and repeating the echo, as you left it in song 1, on a new song which you dont want most of the time.

of course this problem can be solved by a widget resetting intensity or doing it via midi control, but
if the lugin’s audio buffer could be reset for changing to a new song,
this kind of problems would be solved.
would that be even possible for gigperformer?

Peter

Yes I can confirm:
Audio Tail Length of 1st rackspace set to 1 second.
Delay repeat very long
Played a note on Blue3 organ, delay can be heard.
Switched to 2nd rackspace.
Delay faded out within 1 second.
Switched back to 1st rackspace => delay can be heard again.

In Outer Space there is a specific option for buffer clearing - the options are clear on play and clear on reset; can’t remember which you need but one needs to be ticked for it to work correctly.

The global menue of outer space gives you an option to
clear buffers when “host reset”.
I tried that option.

• switch to rackspace1 with long dub effect,
    intensity quite high

• switch to Rackspace2, now wait tail length time, and after that time switch back back to Rackspace1.
    GP has “reset” and the buffer is correctly cleared.

• if you switch back before tail length time of Rackspace1 has exeeded youget full effect volume with which you left Rackspace1 again,

so GP didn’t “reset”, it seems.

I think, if possible, GP should allways “reset” when switching Rackspaces independently of tail times exeeded earlier.
What do you think?
Peter

What platform are you running and which version of the OuterSpace plugin are you running?

OSX High Sierra 10.13.6,
OuterSpace 1.2.1. , reinstalled today, but also still had the same version number as before. To make sure not having a high sierra security update problem, I fully deleted vst,vst3 and AU versions, reinstalled with today’s download again.

The behaviour I desxribed, is still the same.
Peter

@pwohlfah @pianopaul it seems that you are right and that it once again does not work properly in Outer Space. This behaviour is, as it is with any other plugins, properly handled by GP, but it is up to the plugin to “do the right thing”.

Note that there is some clearing of the sound and you hear a very small audio tail, but it is there nonetheless.

To confirm that this is happening you can actually simply click on the “POWER” button within the plugin (top right) to switch it off or use ou Bypass button while you play.
Now stop playing and make sure there is no sound coming out. When you power the plugin back on or unbypass it you will hear a little bit of the sound played.
You can also use another host if you want to confirm that this is a plugin issue.

We have a good relationship with AudioThing and they are great developers so we will contact them again and report this.

Thanks

@djogon,

Thx

I sent an email to them. IF you want - you can send your reports - it may help them pinpoint the issue faster.

Will do that.

@djogon

Just wrote them instructions how to reproduce.

thank you!