Audio Switcher/Router

Mixers are fine but I would prefer a switcher/router. Routing several (2 would be nice, 4 would be great) stereo inputs to one stereo output and the ability to switch, which input is on.
I know it can be done with mixers but it is not so elegant.

Edit: It would be PERFECT if the router could automatically bypass the unused plugins.

Would you need that only when you design your routing or do you need such an option during live performance?

1 Like

In live performance. I have an extensive rack space with several guitar amps that I switch on and off. Using a mixer right now to make the routing, but it just feels wrong because I am only using one at a time. In a real world setup I would use an audio switcher to go back and forth in between them.
Same for effects, using 3 different delay plugins but only one at a time.

This is exactly what I am after. Seems the most obvious omission that I have found in an otherwise comprehensive platform. Please please make this an option in the next update. I, likewise, need to switch between amp models whilst keeping all the other plugins, delay, verb, comp etc, available much like a real guitar rig.

With a mixer and a sripting and widgets in the front panel you can create a switcher.

Switcher.gig (9.0 KB)

This is the script (quick&dirty)

//$<AutoDeclare>
// DO NOT EDIT THIS SECTION MANUALLY
Var
   S1 : Widget
   S2 : Widget
   S3 : Widget
   S4 : Widget
//$</AutoDeclare>

on WidgetValueChanged(newValue : double) from S1
 if newValue == 1.0 then
  S2.SetWidgetValue(0.0)
  S3.SetWidgetValue(0.0)
  S4.SetWidgetValue(0.0) 
 end 
end

on WidgetValueChanged(newValue : double) from S2
 if newValue == 1.0 then
  S1.SetWidgetValue(0.0)
  S3.SetWidgetValue(0.0)
  S4.SetWidgetValue(0.0) 
 end 
end

on WidgetValueChanged(newValue : double) from S3
 if newValue == 1.0 then
  S1.SetWidgetValue(0.0)
  S2.SetWidgetValue(0.0)
  S4.SetWidgetValue(0.0) 
 end 
end
on WidgetValueChanged(newValue : double) from S4
 if newValue == 1.0 then
  S1.SetWidgetValue(0.0)
  S2.SetWidgetValue(0.0)
  S3.SetWidgetValue(0.0) 
 end 
end
2 Likes

I would also use Variations as a scriptless way to solo different mixer channels.

Using variations will be much more flexible and powerful than a new switcher plugin (but I wouldn’t mind if one was added :wink:

4 Likes

I am new to any form of scripting so will spend some time with this but I see that basic principal here. thanks very much Paul.

A great idea. Will look at various ways to achieve this result and that is probably the simplest in this format however I am likely to make changes to plugins that are not the amp sims and would like those to carry over to all variations. So if I tweak the reverb on one variation I don’t want to lose that tweak on all other variations. Appreciate the response.

When you tweak your reverb and did not map any widgets to reverb parameters you will not loose the tweak by changing variations.

Ah so from this do I take it that the variations only save and recall the widget changes and the rest is saved as a global setting so to speak? I had not really understood the exact parameters of the variations feature yet to be fair. Have only had this a few days so very new to it all. Thanks a lot for your help by the way. Very much appreciated. I imported that script also and is working great. Exactly what I was looking for. I don’t suppose I could trouble you to build a 6 channel version could I? I looked at this myself but could not get it to work. not offended if you cannot.

Thanks Paul.

Correct.

Although there are some widget options that allow you to ignore variations if you want.

For example you have a Rackspace with an Organ and a Piano and a Reverb and you use Variations to switch between the instruments and their different sounds, but ignore variations on the Reverb so you can set that like a global effect (within that rack space, so not exactly global, more like … continental? :wink:

Ah, that is helpful. Thanks.

That is the sort of thing I am looking for. Thanks for your help.