Audio Player/Files and Memory

I’m looking at putting together a show with a large number (maybe all) of sequenced or audio backing track supported songs. I would likely want to have separate tracks for drums, bass, extra keys, orchestration, etc. so that I could mute those if I had a real musician for those parts on a given show. IOW, there might be 3-4 files per song average.

In the past (long ago) I did similar with MIDI sequences so I understand that quite well. I am intrigued, however, by the idea of just using sync’d audio tracks for this and GP’s audio file player. But question, If I have 3-4-5 audio tracks per song, will GP (attempt to) load up ALL of that for the whole set when I load the gig file, or does it stream it per song so to speak? If the former, that seems very impractical to do for memory reasons, and maybe I would be constrained to predictive loading? Am I better off to sync to a DAW that would NOT load it all into memory at once? Looking for advice.

Audio player loads into memory, no streaming
You could use a 2nd instance just for audio player and use predictive load in that 2nd instance

1 Like

Unfortunately the current version of our audio player doesn’t support streaming.

This plugin might be worth checking out

1 Like

David - so that (vstPlayer) streams and supports multi-track playback as far as you know?

No idea. I knew it was out there but have never looked at it that closely….too many plugins!!!

As far as I could see on the homepage of vstPlayer there is no streaming and no multitrack playing.

I have learned that Kontakt (which I happen to have) can play backing tracks in multi-track fashion and streams (Direct from Disk mode). Is anyone using this within GP for your backing tracks? I might need to make a new post for this.

Up to now I have been using Foobar to play my multi-track backing tracks (exported from Audacity in .ogg file format) to my Behringer XR18 stagebox mixer via USB-cable and the device ASIO.

I bought a MOTU 828x and want to use GP and a GP mixer plugin to play (and separately) mix/fade the individual backing tracks to the analogue outputs of the 828x.

Question:
How do I get the 10 audio tracks into GP? I tried Asio-Bridge (VB-Audio Virtual Apps) but can only pass the audio tracks straight to the 828x outputs.

Help!?

The MOTU 828x does not have software returns, right?

Hi pianopaul,

I am not exactly sure what your question means but if I think the answer is no.

I can “pull” the signals that are fed into the physical inputs into the App, apply effects and send it to physical outputs. But I cannot get signals that are sent straight to physical outputs to return to the software App.

I hope my answer makes some kind of sense.

So, to recap.
A) I can send 8 tracks from Foobar (with ASIO plugin) to the 8 analogue outputs of the 828x using the 828x ASIO driver.

B) I can send 8 mp3 audio signals from within GP to the 8 analogue outputs of the 828x by using the 8 track audio file player that comes with GP.

BUT, what I’d like to do is get 16 tracks from Foobar into a 16 channel GP mixer (plugin), then process it in GP from where GP has to send it to teh 828x outputs.

How can I do that?

You can send 8 channels to the adat out of the motu.
Then with a light pipe connect the adat out with the other adat in.
This adat in you see as audio in in gig performer.
Same you can do with the other 8 analog out and in.

By the way, are you on Mac?

Thanks! I am going to try it.

I am on Windows 10.

It works! Thanks pianopaul.

Now to see how I can incorporate GP4 mixers.

1 Like