Audio cuts in and out

I purchased this software hoping I would not have the problem stated in the topic of this thread. I had been using Logic Pro as my live performance software. I do not like MainStage. Now I do use high end orchestral libraries as LASS, Vienna Instruments, Broadway Big Band etc.
They use a lot of CPU but the sounds are the most realistic and IMHO the best. In Gig Performer I have had to crank up the Audio Buffer size up to 2016 to stop the audio fallouts but the latency is unbearable to play live. I am using an SSD to stream the samples. This is connected to my MacBook Pro laptop running OS 10.12.5 16gig of Ram. Any help is greatly appreciated.
BL

I don’t know anything about those particular libraries although I just looked up LASS (assuming it is LA Scoring Strings) which seems to be a Kontakt instrument.
Although I cannot of course say with absolute certainty that Gig Performer is at fault, it’s highly unlikely. What CPU percentage does Gig Performer claim to be using (on the top right of the main window) and what percentage CPU does Activity Monitor say Gig Performer is using? The latter will be higher because it takes EVERYTHING going on into consideration whereas GP’s CPU monitor is just monitoring audio processing.
You don’t mention what audio interface you’re using, nor what at what sample rate you’re running. Also, how much RAM is being used when these plugins are loaded? (Activity Monitor will indicate that).
How many rackspaces do you have and how many plugins do you have loaded in total? It may be that your loaded plugins are trying to use more RAM than your computer supports. In that case, enabling predictive loading might help.

Thanks for your reply,David
I am using Apoggee Duet 2 as my audio interface.
In the activity monitor it indicates 4.25 GB that Gig Performer is using.
I had 3 backspaces but broke it down to 1 and still having the issue of Audio fallouts.
I will try to put a screen shot of the Gig Performer in back view.
BL

Here is a screenshot.

Does this help?

Could you tell us what sample rate are you using?
If you combined 3 rackspaces into one - it would actually, most likely, use more CPU than if you had broken them into separate rackspaces. Only one rackspace is active at a time and consumes CPU cycles.

We would also need and answer to David’s question about the actual CPU usage: “What CPU percentage does Gig Performer claim to be using (on the top right of the main window) and what percentage CPU does Activity Monitor say Gig Performer is using? The latter will be higher because it takes EVERYTHING going on into consideration whereas GP’s CPU monitor is just monitoring audio processing.”

In addition - your screenshot was not sent so we can’t really see it. Could you send it again with your next reply.

Thank you for your reply Nebojsa.
The sample rate is 44100.
I dod not combine rackspaces into 1
The rackspaces I deleted were separate songs.
I just deleted 2 of them.
To answer your other questions:
CPU usage fluctuate from 83 to 86% when playing a chord with 8 notes (using both hands)
When not playing anything CPU is from 67 to 70%.
Activity monitor shows 4.65GB.
Having problems uploading the screenshot.
I will try sending again.
BL

Cannot send screenshot. This site is not behaving in the way I would expect when uploading an image.
Because my initial attempt included my reply that I lost when uploading the screenshot I am sending the screenshot in a separate reply. But if you can guide me I will try again.
BL

this is the 10th time trying to send

Something must be really wrong for CPU to go above 50% when not playing anything.

Please send the screenshot to
team@gigperformer.com and I’ll take a look

Better yet… send us your .gig file so we can take a closer look.

Bob,

it seems that its your Arturia plugins that are using the CPU cycles even when not really played.

Having said that - do you really play all 16 instruments at the same time? There is nothing in your front panel that indicates that you are bypassing some plugins, some of the time. It looks like you are trying to play them all at the same time.

I might be wrong, but it seems that you could split these up into separate rackspaces or at least variations with bypasses and switch between them as you are playing.
Am I missing something?

Btw. Your computer is much faster than what I have. Mine was up to 100% with all the Arturia plugins loaded.

Nebojsa
The way I have things set up is that different sounds are split on different notes of the keyboard.
This gives me access to all the sounds needed on one keyboard that would ordinarily take 3 to 4 keyboardists in a band to play.
I have been doing this since the 1990’s with the artist Dionne Warwick when I worked with her, being the orchestra when we didn’t hire one. Obviously, I didn’t have the technology back then but the desired result was the same. I do not know GigPerformer that well as I just purchased it a few weeks back. I made the switch from Logic Pro on advice from Ilio when I had a very important show. So I am not familiar with the variations and for that matter the front panel. I am going by the suggestions made by Ilio tech support. if you can steer me in the right direction in achieving the results I desire than I am 'all Ears"
BL

Part of the issue is that the plugins you are using (Arturia) seem to use CPU cycles even when they are not being used. E.g. no notes are sent to them. This is a bit unusual. Your Kontakt instruments should behave much better. If nothing is being played - almost no CPU cycles should be used. After all - nothing is being produced by the plugin.

If you really are playing ALL the instruments ALL the time - the only solution is to try to replace as many of high CPU plugins with alternatives that are friendlier to your computer.

To identify which plugins are the “hungriest” right click on a plugin and select the “bypass” option. This will put that plugin to sleep and you should see immediate result in your CPU usage.

If you are not playing all the instruments all the time, but rather say using up to 4 or so instruments at once on your keyboard - I would suggest creating groups that you can work with and placing them into separate rackspaces that you can switch between by sending PC messages.

Alternatively - you can leave your gig as it is, but place switches on your from panel and connect the switches to bypass parameter of each instrument.
Then you can create variations where some instruments are on and some are off and switch between them.

Another suggestion is to see if the “Patch Persist” feature is actually what you need. You enable this in rackspace properties (double click on a rackspace name). When enabled - as long as you hold the notes down - that rackspace will keep playing and allow you to switch to another rackspace an play different sounds at the same time.

Btw. 512 buffer size at your sample rate is the absolute highest I would dare going and perform live. Even that could feel a little “soft”. I usually use 256 buffer size for my live gigs and that works for me.

Hi Bob, I’m out of town right now and don’t have a lot of time for an in-depth suggestion but if you MUST have all sounds live all the time, as opposed to using rackspaces and switching as needed (which works beautifully) then another option, if you don’t need much realtime control (other than volume say) is to sample everything.

So for example, in my touring rig, I use four keyboards and much of the time, I have multiple splits on all of them as I need a lot of sounds in some songs. So for plugins that suck up far more cycles than they should (and that usually comes down to poor plugin design) I sample the sounds that I need from those plugins and then just throw them into Kontakt, which by itself has very low overhead, particularly if you’re not using its convolution reverb (and I generally have all reverb disabled as it gets added in by our FOH engineer)

So if you did that you could have just one Kontakt instrument with the samples needed for the four split areas. If you put the samples in different groups then you can have individual control over parameters such as volume, filtering and so forth.

A lot of people do this with plugins that sound awesome but are just too heavy for live use (when you use a lot of them) even when you’re using Gig Performer which does a lot of tricks to keep CPU down.

I’d be happy to talk to you about your setup when I get back to understand better what you need. Perhaps create a ticket with contact (no pun intended) info and I’ll reach out to you

I’ll comment on each issue in order of appearance:
If the behavior of the Arturia instruments is unusual what could be causing this?
You said you use Arturia, why do I have the problem and you don’t?
I have the Arturia library residing on my MacBook Pro hardrive, not on my SSD.
Could that be the reason?
In regard to playing all instruments at the same time, no that isn’t always the case.
I have one keyboard that has all the splits of sounds I need in a song set up so I have access anytime during the song.
It is much easier to not be making other changes in the course of a particular song although in other complex songs I have no choice.
You mentioned groups, in one very complex song I use 5 rackspaces and have the same problem with audio crackling and fallouts to the point where I have to raise the Audio Buffer size to 2015. But then the latency is intolerable.
Please explain the process of ‘bypassing parameter of each instrument’
BL

Thank you for your last reply, David
I hope you know that my last response was intended for Nebojsa.
I will certainly take you up on your offer to be contacted.
Not sure how to that however. Can you send me a link or email address?

David is far better suited to help you with this one so I will leave it to him to try to help you just go to our support system and leave your contact information for him.

The reason I don’t see similar issues with Arturia plugins is because I usually don’t use Arturia for my live rig. I think I have one rackspace with one Artuaria plugin in it. Even with a few it wouldn’t be a problem, but when you try to run a lot of them at the same time - they don’t seem to be the most efficient out there.

1 Like

Bob, not sure why I never heard back from you - I saw your ticket and responded to ask you when you would be available — I suspect that the response from our ticketing system ended up in your junk email folder