Assigning Master Trim Knob where Value 100 is NOT 0db

So I was watching some of the tutorials and saw lots of cool stuff. One was a bigger knob assignment on my rackspace to control the Master Trim.

So, I do all the steps and it works fine. However, what I can’t figure out is how to get knob position ‘100’ to stop being at Master Trim 0db and have value 100 be 6db. I wanted the knob to be set at showing value 50 as “0db” and be able to adjust up to 6db should I choose to.

The ceiling of an assigned knob at value 100 is 0db on Master Trim.

Has anyone done this setting before or is this where some scripting is required to override ?

I don’t see any endless encoder style knobs, just 0 to 100 style.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

This is a deliberate restriction — that master trim is intended to reduce the output gain (i.e, trim it) but not to add gain. It’s essentially an attentuator, it is not a volume control.

3 Likes

There are no endless encoder style knobs because widgets are linked to plugin parameters that by definition have a finite range of values.

If you have an endless knob on a control surface that you want to link to a knob or fader widget you can do that, but the knob or fader widget in GP will still have limits of 0-100 corresponding to the limits of whatever plugin parameter you link it to.

2 Likes

Another thought is to assign a widget to control the output volume on your audio interface (Audio Out block). Depending on your interface, you might be able to go positive values on that adjustment. There is no widget based restriction on this.

I map my master faders to the Audo Out block gains, and they can go + 6db but I only usually use them to cut level. I have everything gain staged for average level to be at -18 db before my output block. You don’t need average signal any hotter than that leaving the digital world or else you risk digital clipping on transients.

Since I have 4 outputs I can cut level independantly on those outputs vs. master trim which would just take everything down.

I also mapped a widget to my input signals too so I can boost/cut incomming audio signals from my main mixer in the global rackspace.

It is intersting though that the actual master trim does go +6db and the limitation is unique to the Systems Action.

@metropoj you can do some cool things with the Value tab of widgets where you can edit the value curve and that will change the behavior of the widgets and can create bespoke control range values being sent but keep the range of the widget knob full. Usefull for tayloring the sensitivy of encoders per specific adjustment.

1 Like

It’s not. If you associate a physical midi controller knob with the master trim, it will also only go to 0dB

The Master Trim was not meant to be automated and we only added it later as so many users requested it. The concern was that one could accidentally overload the output too easily, hence the restriction to 0dB

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies.

What was more dangerous in my case was wanting to go above 0db, even a little, for whatever purpose I deem necessary (fully knowing the consequences of my actions) and having to use the mouse adjust that Gain knob that way. Easy to make a small issue and huge one at the worst possible time.

So instead, I have now added the master trim to my rack spaces and set them all to ‘8’ and if need be, I will bring them up to 0db if absoluely needed. So, I can hang myself depending on my settings, but I am fully aware of that and I have a controllable ceiling of doom that is not +6 or +12 or whatever that default is.

What may have been handy is to have a widget where 0db is the defaulted roof when you plunk it on the desktop but allow a further ‘user controlled’ adjustment to set any ceiling value of the full gain knob range up to that actual knobs’ max, but that’s cool. Understood why you did that for sure.

Thanks all …

**I’m quite amazed at all the functionality packed away in this program as I keep building in stuff. Thanks community for all the great postings and tricks / tips. Amazing ingenuity …

1 Like