Agreed There are already very good and versatile text editors, such as Sublime Text, I don‘t see why GP should include another custom one.
What currently keeps me from considering an external editor is the current need of having to editor windows (the GP Script editor and Sublime, for example) and manually having to copy and paste the code between those for every compilation.
So, I suggest a basic integration of external editors into GP:
- User can specify a path to their desired editor executable
- CTRL+Shift+3 activates external editor mode:
- GP writes the same script that would be shown in the internal editor to a temporary file
- GP launches the external editor to open that temporary file
- GP watches that file for changes and recompiles it when changes occur: Saving the file in the editor triggers compilation.
- As soon as the script goes out of scope (e.g. because another rackspace was selected, the temporary file is deleted from disk)
This would be great at least for me. What do you think about it?