"Also recall on activate" Checkbox is not saved

I just found out, that GP acts exactly as I need it when I activate the “Also recall on activate” checkbox. That means: All changes I do with the widgets during my performance are not remembered and the old stored values are recalled whenever I come back to this song. Exactly like on a hardware keyboard! Great! What I don´t save should be gone, as soon as I switch to another Song.

Now when I activate this checkbox and say “save to gig file” it looks fine first. But when I reload the session the checkbox is disabled in all the widgets. So now GP remembers all changed values, and when I save my Gigfile, because I just need to change one tiny widget in one rackspace, I have accidentally manipulated many Songs in an unwanted way.

Maybe that behaviour has been implemeneted intentionally but for me it looks like a bug.
The checkbox is saved correctly when I also activate the Recall Value on Load checkbox. But this is not what I need, because in a rehersal I can not select every single widget to save every parameter manually.

I hope it is possible to improve that.

Just tried but I can’t reproduce this — what version of Gig Performer are you running? Also, what do you mean when by “say ‘save to gig file’”?

As allways, thanks for your quick reply David.
I´m using version 1.8.3.2 on PC(Win10)

You can download my gig file from here: https://we.tl/XA3vdiK4dh

I can reproduce it by doing the following steps:

1. Load Gigfile and select Rackspace #2.
  2. Go to Edit Mode
  3. Select first Potentiometer Widget (NORD LEVEL) and activate the checkbox “Also recall on activate”.
  4. Close Edit Mode and Save the complete Gig File.
  5. Close and reopen Gig Performer
  6. Now when you check the Widget in Edit Mode, the checkbox is not selected anymore.

It should be possible to reproduce that as it happens with all the widgets I useed here.

Thanks for having a look into it.
C.

HI Christian,

I just tested with your gig.
I faced the same issue.
But when you also check “Recall value on load” it should work.

Rgs, Thaddäus

But doesn´t it then recall this other snapshot value what has to be saved with the little save button? I would like to recall the value that is saved “normally” when I save the whole Gig File.

Normally the value of a widget is saved when the whole gig is saved.
I just set the level of “NORD LEVEL” to 11 :wink:

Saved the gig and reloaded, the value of the widget is set to 11.

But what you are talking about is maybe a behaviour when the widget is assigned to a midi parameter
and the midi parameter could change the value of the widget?

Aah, now I understand.

When you practise and change the levels of widgets you now would have to save each widget value.
You want that set the value of a widget when you switch again to the rackspace/variation to the last saved value, right?

By the way, your gig contains German words.
Where are you from?

That´s right Paul!! :slight_smile:
I use the widgets more as performance controllers than to set fixed values. So in theory I would manipulate almost all of them during a song. An as soon as I switch to the next Rackspace/Song, I need that all these changes are forgotten. So when I recall the Song I want my initial values back and not what was set last time.
Now when I want to save just one rackspace, I accidentially overwrite my other “inactive” Rackspaces with wrong widget positions, because GP remembers all settings in all rackspaces.

Because you mentioned that… I don´t make a difference between Widgets that control external midi parameters or VSTs.

I´m staying in Leipzig. :slight_smile:

Christian, do you know that you are able only to save the current rackspace to the gig
and not the whole gig?

Of course I know and I normally use that feature. But when you have to duplicate a rackspace (in a reheasal for instance) this option doesn´t add the duplcated rackspace to the Gig File. In that case I have to save the whole Gig at once. If it wouldn´t be like that, I would only use this option and save just the current rackspace to the Gig.

I understand.

By the way: Are you a Leipzig Fan?

I am a Bayern Fan.

Was juckt mich Frau, was juckt mich Kind
Hauptsach is dass Bayern gwinnd :wink:

Haha… I´m normally not interessted in soccer at all, but it´s funny what´s happening here with that team. :slight_smile:

Yes, and I like that.

I’ve been following this conversation but I’m quite confused as to what is wanted here.

If you don’t press the SAVE button, how would we know whether to reload an older (saved) value rather than the current value?

Of course I press save. But I don´t press the tiny SAVE button that each widget has. I press “save rackspace to Gigfile” or I save the complete Gig.
I want to save the Rackspace at once instead of every widget on it´s own. There are a few in every rackspace.

Sorry… i didn´t saw my last answer to this thread at the bottom, so I answered again. Now it seems to be there. Browser fail…

Hi David,
of course I am pressing the save button. But not the tiny one next to the checkbox. I´m just “saving rackspace to gigfile”.
And during my test it seemed to work perfectly well. I was loading the saved value from the Gigfile each time I selected the rackspace, even if I changed the widget value before.

The only problem was that the checkbox itself obviously didn´t seemed to be saved. After restarting GP, the checkbox is off in all widgets.

I hope I was able to explain my problem now.

You have to press the “tiny one next to the checkbox” - that is what causes the snapshot to be recorded

Okay. This is the point where we´ve been before per email. Unfortunatelly my bandmates don´t want to wait for me until I pressed 15 buttons in 15 widgets. :slight_smile:

I get that — but I don’t see how to solve it — what if you have 15 widgets but you only want to snapshot 12 (say) of them?

Are you thinking that we should have a “snapshot all” as well as individual snapshots?